Homemade Vanilla Extract requires only TWO ingredients and you will be so happy with the way it flavors your baked goods. Great for gift-giving!
Original post: December 2017 | Updated: December 2020
I have a handful of Christmas pet peeves, one of them being the need to buy presents for sooo many dang people. Isn’t time together the most important thing? Instead of buying candles and lotions and other things that will probably get tossed into a junk drawer, I love the option of making DIY gifts such as this Homemade Vanilla Extract.
DIY gifts are more likely to be useful, plus they’re hand-made and affordable. Win-win-win.
Consider making a few jars of extract for your loved ones this year. Attach instructional tags and this gift will be adored by all!
WHICH VANILLA BEANS TO USE FOR EXTRACT
Vanilla beans, vodka and a bit of patience are the only things required to make extract come alive. It is super easy to find vanilla beans for purchase online. Use Grade B Bourbon or Madagascar beans for a classic vanilla extract flavor.
If you’re looking for a spicier flavor, use Mexican vanilla beans. No need to go top-shelf with the vodka, either. Buy bottom-shelf 80 proof vodka and you’ll be set.
NOTES: HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT
Be sure to cut the vanilla beans lengthwise before adding them to bottles and between 4-5 beans seems to be the perfect amount per 8 ounces of vodka.
Once sealed up in bottles, shake those babies once daily for eight weeks. When the eight weeks is up, strain the contents through a coffee filter, pour the extract back into the bottle and start baking!
OTHER DIY GIFT IDEAS
- Make your own face scrub at home in minutes! This DIY recipe is the perfect any-occasion gift made with coffee and coconut oil. It exfoliates, moisturizes, and protects against aging and smells incredible.
- Make your own sugar scrub at home using sugar, fresh cucumber and mint. This DIY recipe is good for your face, your legs and arms to get smoother skin. Create a batch of this and your skin will love you. Bonus, it makes a great gift!
- Creating the scent of Christmas is easy! This homemade Christmas Potpourri will make your home smell like the favorite holiday ALL DAY LONG!
Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 8 oz jar
- 4 vanilla beans each split lengthwise (use Grade B Bourbon or Madagascar beans for a classic flavor; use Mexican beans for a spicier flavor)
- 8 oz jar or bottle with screw-on lid, washed
- 8 oz vodka 80 proof, NOT premium quality
- Place the vanilla beans into the washed jar/bottle. Add 8 oz. of vodka and seal tightly with lid.
- Let sit for eight weeks, shaking contents once/day. After eight weeks, strain through a coffee filter and pour the extract back into the jar/bottle. Use in baked goods, as directed!