Cream cheese frosting is super easy to make and this easy recipe turns out great every single time. This creamy, tasty frosting pairs perfectly with your favorite cake or cupcake. It is irresistibly delicious!
WHY MAKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Not to diss on the delicious buttercream or anything, but cream cheese frosting is my favorite thing to spread on top of cakes and cupcakes. It is the best of all the frosting worlds, with the perfect creaminess, sweetness and texture. It can be easily spread and piped onto your favorite baked goods, but only if you don’t eat the entire batch with a spoon first. My willpower flies straight out the window when I have a bowl full of this heavenly creamy frosting within arm’s reach.
WATCH THIS QUICK VIDEO TO SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING!
Enjoy the step-by-step video tutorial we have created for this recipe! Our goal is to make your time in the kitchen as easy as possible and to ensure that your version of this recipe is a success. See our full collection of cooking and baking videos on Youtube!
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
One of the best things about homemade frosting is that it is so ridiculously easy to make. The flavor crushes that of store-bought frosting. Make this easy and delicious cream cheese frosting with just a handful of ingredients and in a few simple steps!
STEP 1 – CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, Two 8-oz. packages cream cheese and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
STEP 2 – CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or a hand mixer), mix until smooth. Add 6 cups of powdered sugar to the bowl.
STEP 3 – CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Beat the mixture on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
STEP 4 – CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Spread or pipe the frosting onto your favorite cakes, cupcakes or bars!
For a sturdier frosting, add extra confectioner’s sugar (1/4 cup at a time) until the desired consistency is reached OR add 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch. You may want an extra sturdy frosting when you are piping it onto certain baked goods.
Use good quality, full fat cream cheese! Do not be tempted to buy a super cheap brand or to use a low-fat version. The end product will be altered if you do!
This frosting tends to get a little bit soft, especially if it sits in warm weather, so be sure to refrigerate the baked goods once they are frosted until they’re ready to be served.
WHICH BAKED GOODS GO WELL WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Everything tastes better with a little bit of cream cheese frosting slathered over the top, but here are a few of my favorites:
- If you don’t want a bigger cake, making bars with pumpkin in them is perfect, because they are closer to a finger food dessert and Pumpkin Bars are easy to take with you to a party!
Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake looks pretty and can be spruced up for any celebration!
- Cookies that incorporate this pumpkin puree for a delicious Pumpkin Cookies batch (I see a theme)
Carrot Cake is best with cream cheese frosting served on it!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3/4 cup salted butter softened, 1 1/2 sticks
- 2 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups confectioner's sugar
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), mix the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- You can pipe this or spread it, whichever you prefer. It is great on your favorite cake, cupcakes or fruit pizza!