Homemade Enchilada Sauce is more delicious than anything you can buy at the store and it is super easy to make. It only requires a handful of ingredients and is done in 15 minutes, with perfect flavor and consistency. Add it to your favorite enchilada recipe!
I’ve been on a roll with making homemade sauces that can be (but shouldn’t be) purchased at the grocery store. This homemade enchilada sauce is a new favorite and I vow to never touch a store-bought can ever again. This recipe takes less than 15 minutes to make and it is SO DELICIOUS. It tastes incredible when added to a batch of chicken enchiladas or a chicken enchilada bake (my favorite super-easy-cheater way to enjoy enchiladas). Another thing I love about this simple recipe is that it is very likely that you have all of the ingredients in your kitchen at any given moment. The ingredients are staples and they come together to create an incredible red sauce that everyone will love!
Watch this quick video to see how easy it is to make a batch of Homemade Enchilada Sauce!
Enjoy the step-by-step video tutorial we have created for this recipe! Our goal is to make your time in the kitchen as easy as possible and to ensure that your version of this recipe is a success. See our full collection of cooking and baking videos on YouTube!
How to make homemade enchilada sauce
In a small bowl, combine flour, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix well.
Heat canola, olive or vegetable oil in a small skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour-spice mixture and whisk until deep red in color (this will take about 60 seconds). Add tomato paste and chicken broth and whisk until smooth.
Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low and let simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring often. Add salt and pepper as desired (to taste). Let cool and pour into jars or use immediately in your favorite enchilada recipe!
How to store leftover enchilada sauce
If you have enchilada sauce leftovers, don’t throw them away! Pour the sauce into mason jars or other containers that can be sealed. Store in the freezer for up to 4 months or in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
What to do with enchilada sauce
Enchilada sauce isn’t just for enchiladas! Here are a few other good recipe ideas for using up the delicious red sauce:
Add it to a batch of pork carnitas (YUM).
Drizzle it over Mexican Stuffed Peppers!
Use it in place of salsa in tacos, burritos, taquitos, taco salad or tostadas!
Add it to a batch of Mac and Cheese for an added kick.
If you have a different use for homemade enchilada sauce, I’d love to hear about it. Leave me a comment or send me a message so others can hear your suggestions, too! Thanks for stopping by, friends. Have a wonderful rest of your week (stay warm)!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup canola oil olive or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour-spice mixture and whisk until deep red in color (about 60 seconds). Add the tomato paste and chicken broth and whisk until smooth.
- Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring often. Add salt and pepper as desired (to taste). Let cool and pour into jars or use immediately in your favorite enchilada recipe!