Pears and honey make such a delicious duo in this grilled cheese sandwich.
What is it about the month of May? It’s always such a crazy time, packed with totally fun and good things. Between getting our pool open for the season (this is such a major pain) and going to track and field days and squeezing in school field trips and wrapping up the school year and preparing for a cute seven-year-old’s birthday party and getting read for a vacation…whew! Cue spinning exorcist head!
I find comfort in food when things get nutty. One of my go-to comfort foods is a gooey grilled cheese sandwich. This version with pears and honey is SO GOOD. Add it to your comfort food list pronto!
Pear and Honey Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 tbsp. salted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese or 8 slices
- 4 thin pear slices
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 small handfuls fresh spinach
- Place the bread slices on a flat work surface. Spread 1 tablespoon of butter evenly over one side of each slice of bread.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Layer each sandwich as follows: Slice of bread, butter side down, 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (or 2 slices), 2 pear slices, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 small handful spinach, 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (or 2 slices) and slice of bread, butter side up.
- Place sandwiches onto the hot skillet. Cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bottom layer of cheese begins to melt around the edges. Cut in half and serve!