Alfalfa sprouts spruce up this veggie-packed sandwich and provide an abundance of antioxidants. This is one of my favorite grilled cheese sandwich creations of all time!
I have to thank my mother for helping me to fall in love with alfalfa sprouts at a young age. I’m not sure I would give them the time of day without her guidance. I don’t always think to add them to my grocery list, but when they are in my fridge I eat them all up. This grilled cheese sandwich is delicious sans sprouts, but adding them makes the sandwich INCREDIBLE.
I am about to embark on a rainy field trip with a bunch of fourth graders, so feel free to say a prayer for me. Wishing for a great day for you, wherever you are!
Other delectable grilled cheese sandwiches:
Turkey Veggie Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Alfalfa Sprouts
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 tbsp salted butter room temperature
- 4 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, or 8 slices
- 2 small handfuls alfalfa sprouts as desired
- 8 slices red onions
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices turkey breast
- Place the bread slices on a flat work surface. Spread 1 tablespoon of butter evenly over one side of each slice of bread. Flip the buttered bread over and spread 1 tablespoon of mustard over each.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Layer each sandwich as follows: Slice of bread, buttered side down, mustard side up, 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or 2 slices), 1 small alfalfa sprouts, 4 slices red onion, 2 tomato slices, 2 slices turkey, 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or 2 slices) and slice of bread, mustard side down, butter side up.
- Place sandwiches onto the hot skillet. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes or until the bottom layer of cheese begins to melt around the edges. Cut in half and serve!