Alfalfa sprouts spruce up this veggie grilled cheese sandwich and provide an abundance of antioxidants. The sandwich is hearty with the addition of a few slices of turkey and grilled to perfection for a crispy exterior. This is one of my favorite grilled cheese sandwich creations of all time!
I have to thank my mother for helping me to fall in love with alfalfa sprouts at a young age. I’m not sure I would give them the time of day without her guidance. I don’t always think to add them to my grocery list, but when they are in my fridge I eat them all up. This grilled cheese sandwich is delicious sans sprouts, but adding them makes the sandwich INCREDIBLE.
Dishes To Pair With Your Grilled Cheese
Loaded Potato Soup – A loaded baked potato is transformed into a warm, delicious, comforting soup! The perfect fall or winter meal!
Minestrone with Black Eyed Peas – Fresh, healthy and satisfyingly delicious soup!
Crispy Kale and Garbanzo Bean Salad – Crispy Kale and Garbanzo Bean Salad is a great lunch any day of the week. Or double the recipe and serve it at your next gathering. The different textures and bold flavors make this salad a keeper!
Easy Coleslaw – This classic coleslaw contains shredded cabbage, creamy vinaigrette dressing and it’s not loaded down with mayo! This will be your go-to slaw for a dinner side, picnic fare and fish tacos!
Dill Pickle Pasta Salad – If you are a pickle lover, this Dill Pickle Pasta Salad is for YOU! It is creamy, flavorful and crunchy all in a single bite. This is a great, quick recipe to throw together for summer gatherings and potlucks. It’s a crowd pleaser!
I am about to embark on a rainy field trip with a bunch of fourth graders, so feel free to say a prayer for me. Wishing for a warm grilled cheese sandwich to enjoy as soon as I get back. It’s nice that they cook up easily and quickly, with so many different ingredients you can add, depending on what you have on hand.
Other Delectable Grilled Cheese Sandwich Combinations
Put to use your leftover lunch meat in a hearty grilled cheese sandwich to make the Leftover Lunch Meat Grilled Cheese for lunch or dinner!
Marry two of your favorite sandwiches to get the Reuben Grilled Cheese!
Turkey Veggie Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Alfalfa Sprouts Recipe
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 tbsp salted butter room temperature
- 4 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, or 8 slices
- 2 small handfuls alfalfa sprouts as desired
- 8 slices red onions
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices turkey breast
- Place the bread slices on a flat work surface. Spread 1 tablespoon of butter evenly over one side of each slice of bread. Flip the buttered bread over and spread 1 tablespoon of mustard over each.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Layer each sandwich as follows: Slice of bread, buttered side down, mustard side up, 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or 2 slices), 1 small alfalfa sprouts, 4 slices red onion, 2 tomato slices, 2 slices turkey, 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or 2 slices) and slice of bread, mustard side down, butter side up.
- Place sandwiches onto the hot skillet. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes or until the bottom layer of cheese begins to melt around the edges. Cut in half and serve!