There’s just 4 ingredients needed to make your own Salted Caramel sauce. It’s easy to do and you’ll be glad you know how to make it yourself because this recipe has so many uses – top or fill your next batch of baked goods with this delicious, irresistible sauce. You will need to resist the temptation to eat it by the spoonful! Salt and caramel make the best food duo.
Caramel sauce is one of those sweet treats that I could literally pour over every single thing in my life. Add a touch of salt to it and it’s even more irresistible. I feel like nothing is off limits when it comes to Salted Caramel Sauce, am I right?! It’s easy enough to stroll through the store and grab a jar from the shelf, but I am here to tell you that it is SO EASY to make and (in my opinion) so much tastier. I am talking four ingredients (FOUR!) and ten minutes of your life. This sweet and salty nectar will become a new staple in your fridge.
Fill or top cupcakes or cheesecake with the sweet sauce or drizzle it over your piece of apple crisp and vanilla ice cream. Top just about any type of baked good with it or use it as a dip for apples!
WATCH THIS VIDEO SO YOU TOO CAN MAKE THIS DELICIOUS CARAMEL SAUCE!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
No candy thermometer needed to make this tasty sauce. It turns out perfect every time!
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan. Set heat to medium-high and stir mixture frequently. When the sugar has completely melted and the mixture is uniformly bubbly, with an amber color (this will take a couple minutes), add the heavy cream and butter. Continue stirring for 2-4 minutes, or until butter has melted and the caramel is smooth and has turned a deep caramel color.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sea salt. Let the caramel cool completely and pour into glass jar containers. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When you pull the sauce out of the fridge you can either bring it to room temperature to use or reheat the sauce. All you have to do is remove the lid and microwave for about 30 seconds, then stir. It should be smooth and pourable, but not piping hot.
- Do not substitute kosher salt or table salt for the sea salt. The result will be very salty!
HOW LONG DOES CARAMEL SAUCE LAST?
Store Salted Caramel Sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one month (I promise it’ll never last that long).
HOW TO USE UP LEFTOVERS
If you are unsure of how to use your caramel, be inspired by this list!
- Add it to your coffee or hot chocolate!
- Perfect for ice cream sundaes!
- Dip your Easy Baked Churros in it!
- Add a spoonful to your plain or vanilla yogurt bowl.
- Top your Easy Apple Pie with your caramel!
- Top your Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies bars with caramel instead of chocolate.
- Use your own sauce for Chocolate Caramel Brownies.
- Cut up some apples and drizzle caramel on top for apple nachos!
- Make banana bread and drizzle caramel over the finished loaf.
- Freeze banana slices dipped in caramel.
- Dip graham crackers into it.
CAN YOU FREEZE SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE?
It must be placed in an airtight container (not glass) and can be frozen for up to three months. When you are ready to use the sauce, allow it to thaw completely in the fridge before using. Pour it into a skillet and heat, stirring, until smooth.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CARAMEL SAUCE THICKER?
Toward the end of cooking, decrease heat to medium-low and allow the caramel to simmer for a few additional minutes (stir frequently to avoid burning). Remember that the caramel sauce will thicken once it cools, but if you want it even thicker dissolve 1 teaspoon of cornstarch in 1 tablespoon of water. Stir the mixture into the caramel.
Enjoy this delectable salted caramel sauce and have a great rest of your week, my friends!
WHAT TO SERVE AT A PARTY
I LOVE party food, so you have come to the right place if you are looking for recipes to make for your next gathering. Here are some options for you that will be easy, delicious and crowd-pleasing!
- Fruit Pizza – The classic, crowd-pleasing Fruit Pizza has a cookie dough crust, dreamy cream cheese frosting and a colorful top layer of fruit and a tasty glaze. Great appetizer/dessert for parties of any kind, any time of the year!
- Taco Ranch Pasta Salad – This delicious pasta salad gets totally devoured at gatherings, no matter the season.
- Sausage Cheese Dip – Sausage Cheese Dip is easy to make (let your crockpot do the work for you!), cheesy, flavorful and totally irresistible! Serve as an appetizer at your next party and it won’t last long. Only 6 ingredients required for this delicious party food!
- 7-Layer Taco Dip – This is the best 7-Layer Taco Dip you’ll ever meet! It’s the perfect appetizer and party food and it is always the first thing to get devoured.
- Crockpot Meatballs – Theserequire only a few ingredients with only a few minutes of prep. They are SO EASY to make, totally packed with delicious flavor and great for game-day parties or holidays. Let your slow cooker do all of the work for you!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – This hot Spinach Artichoke Dip is a party staple! People always get excited about this dip and its so easy to make! It’s a filling, cheesy snack or appetizer that you can put on pita squares, crackers or chips. Let your slow cooker do all of the work for you!
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream at room temperature
- 6 tbsp salted butter cut into chunks
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan. Set heat to medium-high and stir mixture frequently. When the sugar has completely melted and the mixture is uniformly bubbly (this will take a couple minutes), add the heavy cream and butter. Continue stirring for 2-4 minutes, or until butter has melted and the caramel is smooth and has turned a deep caramel color.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt. Let cool and pour into containers. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.