Lemon Drops candies inside of cookies = insanely fabulous.
I wish I had found this cookie recipe at Christmas-time because it would have rounded out my holiday cookie tray quite nicely. I saw these in Better Homes & Gardens magazine and knew I wanted to make them, holidays or no holidays. Lemon Drops candies inside of cookies sounded insanely fabulous. I hadn’t had Lemon Drops in years! What a perfect excuse to pop a few into my mouth.
In a large bowl, combine:
2 cups finely crushed shortbread cookies (I used Keebler)
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup almonds, toasted and finely chopped
Place 2 large handfuls of Lemon Drops candies in a large Ziploc bag and finely crush the candies using a rolling pin. Add 1/2 cup of the crushed candies to the cookie mixture and mix well.
In a small bowl, combine:
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Add the corn syrup mixture to the cookie mixture and mix well.
Shape the dough into 1-inch balls.
Place 1/3 cup of confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl. Roll the cookie balls in the sugar until well coated and place them on a large baking sheet.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Roll the balls in confectioners’ sugar again before serving. If desired, garnish with finely crushed Lemon Drops candies.
To store, layer the cookies between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container and cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
I loved that the candies were incorporated intothe cookies. That little bit of a crunch and lemony flavor were delightful!
Snowy Lemon Balls
- 2 cups shortbread cookies finely crushed (about 7 ounces)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup almonds toasted and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup lemon drop candies finely crushed
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- lemon drop candies finely crushed
- In a large bowl, stir together the crushed cookies, 1 cup of powdered sugar, almonds and crushed candies. In a small bowl, stir together corn syrup, milk and melted butter. Stir the corn syrup mixture into the cookie mixture until well combined.
- Shape cookie mixture into 1-inch balls. Place 1/3 cup powdered sugar in a small bowl. Roll balls in the powdered sugar. Place balls on a large baking sheet.
- Cover and chill balls on baking sheet for at least 2 hours. Roll balls again in powdered sugar just before serving. If desired, garnish with finely crushed lemon candies. To store: Layer cookies between sheets of wax paper in airtight container and cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.