Hot Chocolate is a drink that warms you from the toes on up. But White Truffle Hot Chocolate is richer and takes a mug of cocoa to the next level. It comes out really creamy and tasty, the perfect hot drink for a cold day curled up with a book. It’s very easy to make!
POST UPDATE: Original recipe posted: January 2012 | Recipe updated: December 2019
Candy canes are not necessary to make this hot chocolate fantastic. It is a really creamy and tasty hot drink for a cold day. I slurped it down quite quickly. Or, slurged it down, as my 4-year-old says. This version of a body hugging, warming drink helps you create your own white truffle chocolate balls to add to a hot cup of milk and as it stirs in, the drink transforms into a treat guaranteed to warm you to your toes and lift your spirits! Put your pajamas on, settle in with a warm drink or share it with guests on a cold winter night with friends!
Many people are familiar with Lindt chocolates, a delicious truffle treat you can buy in the store. But this recipe is going to let you make your own version and then create a full bodied flavorful hot cocoa in your home without buying the expensive treats.
HOW TO MAKE WHITE TRUFFLE HOT CHOCOLATE
Skip the hot cocoa mix! I have to give 95% of the credit for this post to my husband. He even helped with the food styling and photography!
In a small, heavy saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of heavy cream over medium heat. Stir in 7 ounces of chopped, small pieces of white chocolate until melted.
2 tablespoons of Bailey’s liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Stir until combined. Transfer the pan to the refrigerator and let chill for 1 hour.
Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Scoop large spoons full of the chilled chocolate mixture out of the pan and place onto the wax paper. The mixture will be somewhat goopy at this point. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes, or until truffles are firm but not completely frozen. Roll the balls between your palms until they take on a rounder shape. If you want to make them pretty, roll them in colored sugar.
Place truffles on a baking sheet with a clean sheet of parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to make some creamy hot chocolate!
Heat milk (1 cup for each serving) in a saucepan over low heat until hot but not boiling. Pour 1 cup of milk into each mug. Add 1 white chocolate truffle to each mug of hot milk and stir until melted completely. Top with a delicious, easy to make homemade whipped cream, giving it that extra creamy flavor you crave.
Chocolate chips are typically sweetened but also created to hold their shape when baked into a cookie. Look for a white chocolate bar (or baking bar) that you can chop into small pieces good for melting instead.
ADDITIONAL FLAVORS TO TRY IN YOUR DRINK
This mug of hot chocolate is a more rich, intense flavor than your regular hot chocolate so make sure to sip slowly! But to change up the flavor, check these ideas out:
- Instead of white chocolate being used in Step 1, change out to dark chocolate, semi-sweet or milk chocolate pieces. Choose your preference!
- Enjoy some peppermint flavor swirled into your truffle drink by using a candy cane to swirl into your drink; crushed peppermints, candy canes or peppermint extract works too!
STORING YOUR TRUFFLES
You can place the homemade balls into an airtight container for about a week in the refrigerator.
If you enjoy warm beverages during the winter or those cool spring and fall nights, you can also try my Homemade Slow Cooker Apple Cider. You can also dunk these Cranberry Bliss Bars but a decadent treat to enjoy with your White Truffle Hot Chocolate would be Cake Truffles!
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN TRUFFLE AND FUDGE
Truffles are a type of chocolate delicacy, that are mainly a chocolate based cream, known as ganache, and some sort of coating. Fudge is soft, can be spongy and made with a variety of ingredients heated up and melted together. Most would agree fudge is a candy.
HOMEMADE DIY GIFTS FOR BIRTHDAYS AND HOLIDAYS
You can wrap up these white truffle balls into some cellophane or airtight containers and they will become a perfect gift! Here’s a few other of my favorite gift ideas that you can make yourself! The personal touch in a gift is important.
- Homemade Exfoliating Coffee Scrub
- Homemade Vanilla Extract
- Homemade Caramels
- Sugared Crockpot Pecans
White Truffle Hot Chocolate
- 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 7 oz. white chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp. Bailey's liqueur
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups skim milk
- Candy canes and whipped cream for garnish
- In a small, heavy saucepan, heat the heavy cream over medium heat. Stir in the white chocolate until melted. Remove from heat and add the Bailey’s and vanilla; stir. Transfer pan to the refrigerator and let chill for 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Scoop large spoonfuls of the chilled chocolate mixture out of the pan and place onto the wax paper. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes, or until firm but not completely frozen. Roll the truffles between your palms until they take on a round shape. Place them on a clean wax-paper-lined baking sheet and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over low heat until hot but not boiling. Pour 1 cup of milk into each mug. Add 1 white chocolate truffle to each mug of hot milk and stir until melted. Top with whipped cream and chopped candy canes, if desired.