This is a great way to use up extra cake or cupcake remnants! Cake Truffles are the perfect fun and easy dessert for any occasion.
You may have noticed my sliiiiight infatuation with baking lately. It’s been out of control and I’m doing my best to reign it in. Last week’s cupcake frenzy (which resulted in the Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes) left me with some tasty remnants that I did not want to waste. So what does a girl do when she has leftover cake or cupcakes on her hands? Cake Truffles, people. Cake Truffles.
Things I adore about these truffles:
– THEY ARE VERSATILE! You can really go any number of ways with these Cake Truffles. Use Vanilla Buttercream, Chocolate Buttercream, Lemon Buttercream or Caramel Buttercream. Any flavor of cake can be used, as well, and go crazy with sprinkles. Instead of rolling the truffles in cocoa powder, dunk them in melted chocolate!
– THEY ARE EASY! Minus freezing time, they take 10 minutes to make (assuming you all have frosting and cake remnants lying around like some people I know).
– THEY ARE FUN! Anything that involves cake, frosting and sprinkles is always a hit with the masses.
– THEY ARE YUMMMMMMY! I mean, look at them.
I made two (TWO!) savory dishes this week (I know!), so those will be coming soon if you are growing tired of the endless stream of sugar. Stay tuned!
Enjoy the truffles and have an amazing weekend, friends!
- 1 batch buttercream frosting, such as Vanilla Buttercream
- 1/2 cup colored sprinkles
- Cake or cupcake remnants broken into pieces (2-4 cups)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, mix (using whisk attachments) the the frosting, sprinkles and cake/cupcake remnants with a hand-held or stand mixer on medium-low speed until combined. Roll into 1-inch balls with your hands and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove from freezer, sprinkle the cocoa over the truffles and roll them in the cocoa until they are coated. Place on a serving tray, cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve!
Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes.