Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is decadent, chocolatey and it goes great on any baked treat, including cakes, cupcakes and so much more. It is super easy to make and you will never buy store-bought again!
Why This Recipe Works
I remember the first time I made a batch of homemade Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. I couldn’t believe how decadent and delicious it tasted and suddenly felt like I’d been missing out for my entire life. Because prior to that point, I had purchased store-bought frosting for all of my baked goods.
And after that point, I never purchased another container from the store again. It is SO easy to make buttercream frosting at home and only a few ingredients are required. They are all probably sitting in your pantry! Go check!
How To Make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is simple yet ridiculously tasty and it goes great spread on seriously any cupcake, cake, cookie or brownie. Here are a few tips for creating the perfect chocolate buttercream frosting!
- Salted Butter – I ALWAYS used salted butter for my baked goods and buttercream frostings, but that is a personal preference. If you wish to reduce the saltiness, go unsalted! Also, make sure your butter is not totally melted. If you don’t have time to bring it to room temperature, microwave it for no more than 30 seconds.
- Milk – Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated. When you reach the desired frosting consistency, you don’t need to add any more. For a less thick buttercream, you may want to increase the amount of milk used to 4-6 tablespoons. For a thicker frosting, 3-4 tablespoons is ideal.
- Mixing – Once you have reached your desired consistency, crank your mixer up to medium-high speed and set a timer for 3 full minutes. Don’t skimp on time. Three minutes of mixing will produce such a super fluffy, creamy and perfect buttercream frosting.
- Sprinkles – Stir in sprinkles at the end for an extra touch of fun! I love doing this when I’m baking treats for kids because…SPRINKLES.
- Vanilla – Use real vanilla extract (no imitations!) and feel free to increase the amount to 2 teaspoons for an even stronger vanilla flavor. If you have time to plan ahead, make a batch of homemade vanilla extract!
What To Top With Buttercream
The world is your oyster when it comes to finding cupcakes, cookies or cakes to spread your batch of Chocolate Buttercream ALL over. Here are a few recipes to get your wheels turning!
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Crunch Cake
- Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Sheet Cake (shown below! Mmmm!)
Buttercream Frosting Recipes
Don’t limit yourself to Chocolate Buttercream! There are so many different flavors that can be incorporated into buttercream frosting. Here are a few of my favorites:
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp milk
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 1-3 minutes, or until desired consistency has been reached. Add extra milk 1 Tbsp at a time, if desired.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container until ready to use. If refrigerated, bring to room temperature when ready to use.