Make pie the EASY way by piling delicious pie filling into puff pastry sheets! Use any kind of berry filling for this recipe. Apples and cherries work great, too! This yummy Slab Pie is done in under 30 minutes and you can cut shapes of your choice into the dough to match the occasion.
Here we are, friends. It’s the day before Valentine’s Day, also known as my LAST DAY of doing the Whole30 diet (didn’t cheat once, woooo!) and also known as the Day of Influenza. Both of my boys have been hit and are in the midst of a movie marathon. Who else loves Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?!
Elijah’s birthday is next week and we had celebration #1 while my dad and stepmom were here over the weekend. I made this Slab Pie (for everyone else) to enjoy because it was festive and easy and delicious (so I hear). Slab pies are the way to go, people. These took almost no time to make and I love how cute they were. Use heart cookie cutters for a Valentine’s theme or stars for Fourth of July. Different sized circles would be cute for a birthday or trees for Christmas!
Refrigerated pie crusts could easily be used in place of the puff pastry sheets. Also feel free to get creative with the filling. Mix and match berry pie fillings or you could go straight apple or peach! I love the texture that the turbinado sugar adds, but if you don’t have it on hand granulated sugar will work great, too.
I served these straight out of the oven with vanilla ice cream and they were quickly devoured. It’s not too late to throw these together for Valentine’s Day tomorrow!
Can I use Homemade Whipped Cream for this recipe?
Absolutely yes! If desired, spoon a dollop or two of Homemade Whipped Cream on top!
Enjoy this easy, yummy Slab Pie and have a great Valentine’s Day!
Thanks for being here, friends!
Berry Slab Pie
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets defrosted
- 2 21 oz. cans pie filling (blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, apple or cherry)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp. turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place a sheet of parchment paper onto a large baking sheet and set aside.
- With a rolling pin, roll each puff pastry sheet into a rectangle approximately 10 inches high by 14 inches wide. Using cookie cutters, cut shapes into the left side of each rolled pastry sheet (leave a 1-inch border around all sides).
- Place the pastry sheet onto the prepared pan (one at a time) and spoon the pie filling onto the right side of the pastry sheet, leaving a 1-inch border around outer edges. Fold the left side up and over the right so edges line up.
- Pinch edges together with your fingers and seal by pressing down with fork tines. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash over the entire surface of the exposed pastry sheet and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and puffed up uniformly. Cut into squares and serve with vanilla ice cream!
Leave a Reply