This tasty version of Parmesan Chicken is the ultimate meal for your dinner table. It’s a flavorful recipe with crispy chicken topped with melty cheese under a delicious Italian sauce will quickly become a family favorite!
We have a super fun weekend ahead of us involving circus animals, family and friends. Not all at the same time. I also caught a quick glimpse of the weekend weather forecast and I think it’ll make a lot of Minnesotans happy. My stepmom will be spending tonight with us, which we are all excited about. One of my favorite meals ever (Best Ever Meatloaf) is on the menu, along with a brand new Baked Potato Casserole recipe that I’m looking forward to sinking my teeth into. What are you up to this weekend? I hope you have something fun planned!
I made this Chicken Parmesan for my family last week and the only thing wrong with it was that I had never made it before! Crying shame.
Pound a few chicken breasts with a meat mallet or rolling pin (or whatever you have in your kitchen that might get the job done) so that they are 1/2 inch thick.
I found that placing them between two sheets of wax paper was helpful and kept chicken bits from flying around my kitchen.
Throw the following ingredients into a giant skillet and let your home begin to smell like heaven.
Add some crushed tomatoes.
While that is simmering, you can tend to your chicken. Set up a little assembly line of shallow dishes. Fill one with flour.
One with breadcrumbs and Parm.
And one with eggs.
Coat each breast with flour.
Soak it in the eggs.
And finish with the breadcrumb mixture.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Turn the heat down slightly and cook the breasts for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
Pour half of the sauce into a baking dish and top with the cooked breasts. I had a few crispy ones that I tried to crop out of the photo. Oopsies.
Top with remaining sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil!
Bake and serve over spaghetti noodles. Can you say YUM?!
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup flour
- Sprinkling of salt and pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- Splash of water
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 4 oz. spaghetti noodles cooked to al dente
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a meat mallet, pound chicken breasts to 1/2-inch thickness. Set aside. Heat 3 Tbsp. olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook until onion is soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and reduce heat to Low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Line up an assembly line of three shallow dishes. In the first, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In the second, combine the eggs and water. In the third, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Thoroughly coat each breast with flour mixutre, followed by egg mixture, followed by breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a skillet over medium-heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook the coated breasts in the hot oil for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Pour half of the sauce into the prepared baking dish. Top with cooked chicken breasts and remaining sauce. Top with mozzarella slices and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles.