Breakfast couldn’t possibly be more fun! These Funfetti Strawberry Pancakes will instantly put smiles on those kid faces!
Dan has been guiding educational tours in DC since Thursday and he won’t be home until Friday. This will be our longest stretch without him ever! The boys and I miss him terribly! While he’s been gone, I have done some extra special things with the boys to stave off too many “I miss Daddy!” thoughts. I declared “rainbow pancakes” for breakfast on Saturday. The boys were all over this and it put huge smiles on their faces. I sat the plate you see in the photos in front of them and gave them two forks. Five solid minutes of quietness followed. There were only a few measly scraps left on the plate and two satisfied boys looking up at me when their bellies were full. Success. Total success.
Combine the following ingredients in a bowl and mix until creamy, either by hand or with a mixer. Set aside. This will be your glaze for later.
Combine the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients and mix until creamy.
Gradually add the dry ingredients and stir until lumps are gone.
Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour the batter onto a hot skillet. Top each with sprinkles and chopped strawberries before flipping. Cook on each side for a couple minutes and remove from heat. You may want to heat the glaze in the microwave a few seconds at a time until it is slightly warm, creamy and smooth. Pour over pancakes and top with more “goodies” and serve!
Kids’ll love ’em!
Funfetti Strawberry Pancakes
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1-2 tbsp. milk added 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup strawberries hulled and chopped
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, cream cheese and 1 tablespoon milk. Stir until creamy, adding 1 additional tablespoon milk, if needed. Set aside.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, egg, butter and almond extract. Using a mixer or spoon, mix until creamy. Gradually add the flour mixture, stirring until batter is free of lumps.
- Add batter to the hot skillet in 1/4 cup batches. Add sprinkles and strawberries to each pancake before flipping, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat, repeating the process until batter is gone. (Spray skillet with cooking spray before each new batch.)
- Heat the glaze in the microwave for 10-second intervals, stirring after each, until smooth. Pour over pancakes and top with extra strawberries and sprinkles.