Delicious Instant Pot red potatoes are covered in a garlic lemon sauce. They cook quickly in your Instant Pot, freeing up space on your stove top. Great side dish recipe for your next holiday meal or intimate weeknight dinner!
Why This Recipe Works
Potatoes are a strange thing to be in awe of, but I confess that I am indeed in awe of them. There are so many varieties! And each variety has its own unique texture and flavor.
On top of all of that, there are so many different ways to prepare them and every one of those ways produces a scrumptious end product and I have a hard time stopping once I’ve started.
Of all the kinds to enjoy, red potatoes are my favorite. They are soft, buttery and flavorful. They are easy to cook (impossible to mess up!), especially when an Instant Pot is involved.
You know how much I love my Instant Pot and not just because it infuses magical flavor into everything cooked inside it. It also just makes life easier by allowing you to “cook in the corner.” No stove top mess, no space filled up in the oven. It just sits in the corner and does its thing.
This easy recipe is sooo ridiculously delicious, you guys. The flavor! Oh my goodness, the flavor. It’ll knock your socks off.
Red potatoes – These potatoes are creamy and perfect for mashed potatoes however you can use what you have on hand.
Butter – Salted butter will pull out the flavors in this dish. Replace butter with olive oil for a slightly healthier recipe.
Garlic – Use fresh garlic to let the flavor spring out.
Lemon – Fresh lemon works best but lemon juice can be used.
Flat-leaf parsley – This is also known as Italian parsley. It might be seen as an unnecessary ingredient but the clean, lightly peppery flavor will compliment this dish. Go crazy with fresh herbs! Add to the parsley or replace it with chives, basil, thyme or sage!
How To Make Instant Pot Red Potatoes
Pour 1 1/2 cups water into the Instant Pot and place trivet in pot.
Add the potatoes to the pot.
Place the cover on the pot and set timer to 10 minutes on high pressure (pressure cook setting). It will take the IP around 15 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
When cooking time is done, do a quick release. Carefully pour the potatoes into a strainer and empty the liquid from the pot.
Set the pressure cooker to saute mode and melt butter in pot. Add garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley. Cook for 3 minutes and add potatoes back to the pot. Toss potatoes to coat. Serve warm with cooking liquid spooned over the top!
Use 6 regular sized red potatoes or 12 baby potatoes for this recipe.
A final sprinkling of sea salt over the top before serving is a delicious choice.
Replace the water with chicken broth for extra flavor.
Why Does It Take My Instant Pot So Long To Heat Up
The time leading up to actual cook time may seem long and even confusing (“What is going ON in there?!”), but it’s an important part of the process! The Instant Pot is working on building up the appropriate amount of pressure that it will be cooking the food at. It handles liquids and solids differently and also fresh and frozen differently, so the time can vary. Most recipes take between 10 and 25 minutes to build up pressure.
FAQ About Potatoes
Potatoes are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and have been linked to health benefits such as improved blood sugar control and reduced heart disease risk.
Since potatoes are a vegetable and not a grain, they are gluten free.
Yes, potatoes have a long shelf life, but they do go bad. If you notice a strong musty or moldy odor, it’s time to throw them out. Also, if they are soft or mushy, you should toss them too.
If you place your potatoes in a cool, dark place, they are good for about 3-5 weeks and in the fridge for about 3-4 months.
Mac and Cheese Recipes for Thanksgiving – 13 Delicious Ideas!
Mac and cheese is a Thanksgiving staple! Read on for some scrumptious mac and cheese recipes for Thanksgiving that you can make this year! You’ll find a ton of options to choose from in this roundup.
Delicious Thanksgiving Side Dishes
This is my Mom’s Mashed Potatoes recipe. It is the BEST and goes great with any main dish, any time of year. You’ll never need another mashed potato recipe again!
This is the BEST Homemade Cranberry Sauce! It is super easy to make and way surpasses the canned version in flavor. This will be a delicious addition to your Thanksgiving or holiday table!
This Classic Sweet Potato Casserole is great on your Thanksgiving table. It is filled with a delicious sweet potato mixture and topped with crunchy pecans and marshmallows.
This is the Best Green Bean Casserole for your table! It is a traditional holiday staple, yes, but also great any time of the year as a delicious side dish.
Instant Pot Recipes
- Cook perfect, tender Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot every single time! Start with thawed or frozen to create the most delicious chicken you will ever make.
- Make comforting, hearty Goulash in your Instant Pot! This American version of Goulash could not be easier or more delicious. It cooks perfectly every time and is done in only 30 minutes. Perfect easy dinner any night of the week!
- Chicken Noodle Soup – Make this classic in the Instant Pot! Using a pressure cooker will save you time and will produce the most perfectly cooked soup you’ll ever taste.
- Chili made easy in your pressure cooker is THE BEST! This recipe is the absolute perfect comfort food, packed with flavor, texture, color and a tiny bit of spice. Perfect dinner or party food!
- Chicken Tortilla Soup is the BEST! It is packed with flavor, it is super easy to make and it tastes like it’s been cooked low and slow all day long. Throw it together for your next family dinner OR your next big gathering.
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Instant Pot Red Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pour 1 1/2 cups water into the Instant Pot and place trivet in pot.
- Add the potatoes to the pot.
- Place the cover on the pot and set timer to 10 minutes on high pressure (pressure cook setting). It will take the IP around 17 minutes to build up pressure before it begins cooking.
- When cooking time is done, do a quick release. Carefully pour the potatoes into a strainer and empty the liquid from the pot.
- Set the pressure cooker to saute mode and melt butter in pot. Add garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley. Cook for 3 minutes and add potatoes back to the pot. Toss potatoes to coat. Serve warm with cooking liquid spooned over the top!
- Use 6 regular sized red potatoes or 12 baby potatoes for this recipe.
Replace butter with olive oil for a slightly healthier recipe.
- Go crazy with fresh herbs! Add to the parsley or replace it with chives, basil, thyme or sage!
- A final sprinkling of sea salt over the top before serving is a delicious choice.
- Replace the water with chicken broth for extra flavor.
These were so simple yet so good. I don’t use the instant pot much because it seems to dry everything out but these were perfect. They were deliciously bright. My husband loved them. We will definitely make them again.
Thank you for sharing Sarah! I agree they have a nice litte flavor and that lemon brightens up and keeps the potatoes from drying out.