So much flavor in each small bite sized piece of french bread. Tomatoes marinated in basil, oil and balsamic vinegar with a little garlic is perfection. This bruschetta is the perfect little finger food for any gathering! Be ready to knock people’s socks off!
Bruschetta is not an appetizer I typically think to make. I’m not sure why that is because it is so simple and this recipe in particular is flavorful and delicious. I am a huge lover of anything overflowing with tomatoes, so bruschetta should be at the top of my appetizer list. Moving it up a few notches on the list right this second.
Do you use sourdough bread or french bread for traditional bruschetta?
Traditional bruschetta is made with a whole, wide full slice of toasted rustic italian bread. A crostini is better known for using a smaller slice of textured bread with a variety of toppings. In the US it’s common to find french bread or baguette for an easily made bruschetta.
What sauce do you put on bruschetta?
Bruschetta does not use a smooth sauce, but is well-known for a chunky tomato sauce mixed with onions, garlic and olive oil, topped with Parmesan cheese.
Should bruschetta be served warm or cold?
Bruschetta can be served right as you pull the bread out from the broiler or off the grill. The bread is best served when the slices are warm and just slightly crispy but still chewy inside. If you don’t have time to prepare the bread as the party is about to start, you can always serve the bruschetta room temperature. But you’ll enjoy freshly grilled bruschetta best.
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, minus the bread.
Cut a loaf of French bread into 1/2-inch slices. Place bread slices onto a baking sheet.
At this point you have two serving options. You can:
1. Toast the French bread with tomato mixture spread on top in a 425-degree oven for 4-5 minutes for a warm appetizer.
2. Toast the bread by itself in a 425-degree oven for 3-4 minutes and then add the chilled tomato mixture to the top.
I tried both ways and I slightly prefer the toasted bread with the chilled tomato mixture on top.
Top with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and serve! Delish!
- 8 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded or grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 loaf French bread toasted and sliced
- In a small bowl, toss together tomatoes, basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Serve on toasted bread slices.