A simple and hearty soup that you can add to your slow cooker so you come home to a delicious smelling Chicken Rice Soup. Full of vegetables and juicy rotisserie chicken, you will fill up on a steamy hot bowl and save some for another day. Promise there’s a spoonful of comfort in every bite!
Good ol’ Daylight Savings. This is the week every year when I become depressed driving home from work in complete darkness, and also when I am awakened very early in the mornings by my already-early-rising boy, Elijah. Sunday morning he was ready to start the day at 3:30! “Mom! Is it time to get up?” I sternly said, “Absolutely not. Go back to sleep. It is the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.” Then he said, “Mom? You are my sweet girl and my best friend.” Those are some sweet words, but Mommy needs her sleep, dangit.
This means winter is near. (I sighed as I wrote that.) I’m not ready. Winter can be rough on my mood and on my bones. There are good things about winter, however: Baking, not having to shave my legs every day, building snowmen with my boys, having Dan at home and…crockpot cooking! I love my crockpot. Actually, I desperately need a new one, but I love cooking in crockpots. Especially soups like this one that make my house smell like heaven.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add to the skillet:
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
8 oz. baby carrots, thinly sliced
8-oz. package sliced mushrooms
3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
Cook, stirring, for 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add the contents of the skillet to a large crock pot.
Meat from 1 Rotisserie chicken
(I have rice shown here, but I don’t suggest adding it until later..)
64 oz. chicken broth
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook on Low heat for 6 hours. At the four-hour mark, add 1 cup of uncooked rice. If you add the rice too soon, it becomes mushy, I discovered the hard way.
Serve warm with a crusty bread. What a perfect Fall soup! Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is another great comfort soup we like to prepare in my home.
Chicken Rice Soup
- Crock Pot
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 8 oz. baby carrots thinly sliced
- 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 3 jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- Meat from 1 Rotisserie chicken
- 64 oz. chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, jalapenos, garlic and parsley. Cook, stirring, for 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add contents of skillet to a large crock pot. Add chicken and broth. Cook on Low heat for 6 hours. At the four-hour mark, add the rice. Serve warm with a crusty bread.