Five ingredients and five minutes of your time and you will have a chocolatey, dreamy Hot Fudge Sauce on your hands! It’s a thick, smooth and rich treat. Store in the fridge and reheat as needed for your next bowl of ice cream or pan of fudgy brownies. This great recipe will not last long in the fridge. It is also a great DIY gift that people will love!
Original recipe posted: January 2019 | Recipe update: December 2019
Hot Fudge Sauce made with cocoa is one of those dreamy foods that isn’t sure whether it is a sauce or a dessert. But I’ve learned that making it at home is easy enough and way better than the store bought kind. You’ll enjoy spoonfuls of this gooey homemade chocolate fudge sauce perfect for summer treats!
I’ve given this dessert sauce away as a gift a handful of times recently and each recipient swooned and declared NO SHARING with family members. This Hot Fudge Sauce is the perfect easy DIY gift, by the way. If you are looking for something unique to give to loved ones or teachers or the mail man, you will never go wrong with this! It is also a great treat to have hanging out in your fridge because you never know when you’ll want to douse a dessert with it. And homemade is always best!
WATCH THIS QUICK VIDEO TUTORIAL TO LEARN HOT TO MAKE YOUR OWN TASTY CHOCOLATE SAUCE
HOW TO MAKE A QUICK FUDGE SAUCE
You need to try your hand at this dessert sauce, it is SO easy to make! There are only 5 ingredients involved and this recipe takes 10 minutes from start to finish.In a medium saucepan, combine the cocoa powder, sugar, heavy cream and butter.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until all ingredients are melted, smooth and combined.Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Let cool for 10 minutes, then pour into jars.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready for use.Reheat for 20-30 seconds in the microwave when ready to use. Pour over ice cream or dessert of choice!THAT. IS. IT. Yes I’m serious and you’re welcome.
STORING HOT FUDGE
Once hot sauce has cooled, place it in a sealed container such as a mason jar or tightly sealed plastic container and store it in the fridge until ready for use. When stored properly, it will last up to 4 months in the fridge.
SAVING & FREEZING HOT FUDGE
Yes, you can absolutely freeze hot fudge sauce. Pour it into a sturdy jar and seal it tightly before freezing. Allow it to thaw completely before use. Pour it into a saucepan and warm over medium-low heat (stir often to avoid scorching!) until it is smooth. If needed, heat and add in 1 tablespoon of heavy cream or milk to get the correct consistency. Hot Fudge Sauce will last for 12 months in the freezer.
HOW TO (RE)HEAT UP HOT FUDGE
There are a couple different methods you can use to heat hot fudge sauce. Use the method in the previous paragraph (on the stove top) or heat in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, then stir until smooth.
DESSERTS TO ENJOY FUDGY SAUCE WITH
Here are a few great dessert options:
- Pour a healthy serving over a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream, chocolate or any type of ice cream! Top it with a dollop of homemade whipped cream!
- Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie – Enjoy this crispy-soft, ooey-gooey, over-sized chocolate chip cookie straight out of the oven and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Baking it in a cast iron skillet gives it a perfectly crispy outer edge and a soft center. This “pizookie” is a cookie lover’s dream come true!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake – This frozen cake involves a giant baked cookie, cookie dough ice cream, hot fudge topping, cool whip, chocolate chips and COOKIES. It doesn’t get any better than this!
- Reese’s Cheesecake Brownies – Reese’s Cheesecake Brownies are the best of all dessert worlds! Cheesecake, brownies, chocolate and peanut butter all in a single bite! This is the BEST kind of party food. It’s the first thing to get devoured every single time!
- Dip fresh strawberries into the sauce.
- Drizzle the hot sauce over sliced apples to make apple nachos!
The better question is: Is there a dessert that doesn’t taste great when Hot Fudge Sauce is drizzled over the top? Yeah, I don’t think so, either. Whatever deliciousness you eat with it, ENJOY!
TRY ONE OF THESE OTHER HOMEMADE SAUCES
- Easy Blueberry Sauce – Blueberry Sauce is super easy to make and goes great on pancakes, waffles or works great as a pie filling!
- Apple Butter – This tasty Homemade Apple Butter Recipe is worth the wait! After you enjoy picking your favorite assortment of sweet and tart apples, you can add just a few spices to the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer. Not to be confused with butter, it’s awesome to spread on everything (like butter)!
- Salted Caramel Sauce – There’s just 4 ingredients needed to make your own Salted Caramel sauce. It’s easy to do and you’ll be glad you know how to make it yourself because this recipe has so many uses – top or fill your next batch of baked goods with this delicious, irresistible sauce.
- Crockpot Applesauce – Homemade applesauce is fun to make and better than the store stuff! Plus it’s the perfect fall treat. Let your slow cooker do the work so kids and adults alike can have a healthy snack!
Easy Hot Fudge Sauce
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup salted butter cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cocoa, sugar, heavy cream and butter. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Let cool for 10 minutes, then pour into jars. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready for use.
- Reheat for 20-30 seconds in the microwave when ready to use. Pour over ice cream or dessert of choice!