Mashed potatoes are a holiday staple, but also a delicious, comforting side dish option for any meal any time of the year. I love a good standard mashed potato recipe, but adding feta cheese allows you to change up the flavors of this comforting side dish. Make this Feta Cheese Mashed Potato recipe for your next meal!
Why This Recipe Works
There is not a better side dish than mashed potatoes, am I right?! They are super easy to make, they’re comforting and everyone loves ’em! You just can’t go wrong. I have so many favorite versions of this popular side dish (see below for my list) and this feta cheese version is one of them. Watch people’s faces around the table as they take a bite of this uniquely delicious potato dish.
Adding feta to your next batch of mashed potatoes will add a ton of unique flavor. And the heavy cream in the recipe makes it super creamy.
Do you feel overwhelmed just thinking about planning a holiday menu? Then you anticipate the exhaustion that comes after the meal has been eaten?
Within each recipe in this ebook are tips for making the recipe ahead of time to open up space for the people you’re excited to spend the holiday with. Sample menus included, along with mouth-watering photos and tried-and-tested recipes!
Yukon gold potatoes – Red potatoes can be substituted if preferred
Garlic – Use fresh garlic in this recipe.
Feta cheese crumbles – You can buy these pre-crumbled in a small container to add to your dish vs buying a block and crumbling them yourself.
Heavy whipping cream – This dish is delicious with the creaminess heavy whipping cream offers but you can use 2% or whole milk in place of heavy cream, if desired.
How To Make Feta Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Place 5-6 medium-sized yellow or red potatoes and 4 halved garlic cloves in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until fork tender.
Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add:
- feta cheese crumbles
- heavy whipping cream
- salt & pepper
Mash with a potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
Serve with a few pats of butter, an extra sprinkling of salt and pepper and extra crumbled feta!
- Leave the skins on adds a unique and delicious flavor and texture, but feel free to peel the potatoes first for a creamier end result.
- Especially with soft potatoes like red and yukon gold, be careful not to overmash or the texture can become gluey. (No blenders or electric mixers!)
- Replace with Russet potatoes if desired, but the flavor will be less buttery.
- Add up to 1/4 cup sour cream or 4 tablespoons butter for an even creamier texture and flavor.
Substitute for Milk in This Dish
Whether you are looking for a different flavor in your next batch of potatoes or you just don’t have milk on hand, learn what to substitute for milk in mashed potatoes!
How Long Are Leftover Mashed Potatoes Good For
If you have leftover mashed potatoes staring at you from inside your refrigerator and you don’t know whether to toss or eat this yummy side dish, click over for more info!
Can You Freeze Mashed Potatoes
Allow the mashed potatoes to completely cool before freezing. Place in a shallow container in an even layer and wrap tightly with foil. Place into a resealable freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to enjoy, allow the potatoes to thaw in the fridge overnight. Place in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, adding a small amount of milk and/or sour cream to add moisture. Heat until warmed through.
What To Do With Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- Freeze them! (See note above for freezing instructions.)
- Use them to make your next Shepherd’s Pie.
- Serve pot roast over top of them.
- Throw them into a Thanksgiving Stromboli along with the rest of your leftovers!
What To Eat With Mashed Potatoes
This is such a creamy and versatile classic side dish, easily accompanying so many different dishes! Click over for 15 delicious foods to eat with mashed potatoes!
What To Add To Mashed Potatoes
My favorite ingredients to mash with potatoes are butter and garlic. Here are a few other delicious options:
- Sour cream
- Greek yogurt and/or milk
- Salt and Pepper
- Cream Cheese
- Chopped chives
- Cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar
Mac and Cheese Recipes for Thanksgiving – 13 Delicious Ideas!
Mac and cheese is a Thanksgiving staple! Read on for some scrumptious mac and cheese recipes for Thanksgiving that you can make this year! You’ll find a ton of options to choose from in this roundup.
FAQ About Potatoes
Potatoes can be part of a healthy diet; they are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and have been linked to health benefits such as improved blood sugar control and reduced heart disease risk.
Since potatoes are a vegetable and not a grain, they are gluten free.
Yes, potatoes have a long shelf life, but they do go bad. If you notice a strong musty or moldy odor, it’s time to throw them out. Also, if they are soft or mushy, you should toss them too.
If you place your potatoes in a cool, dark place, they are good for about 3-5 weeks and in the fridge for about 3-4 months.
Other Delicious Potato Recipes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are creamy, smooth, delicious and easy to prepare. No boiling or saucepan/stove top cleaning required with this side dish. The Instant Pot gets this easy recipe done in 30 minutes!
- This is my Mom’s Mashed Potatoes recipe. It is the BEST and goes great with any main dish, any time of year. You’ll never need another mashed potato recipe again!
- This Classic Sweet Potato Casserole is great on your Thanksgiving table and also a perfect side dish that can be enjoyed any time of the year. It is filled with a delicious sweet potato mixture and topped with crunchy pecans and marshmallows.
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes – These are the perfect brunch side dish. Two delicious types of cheese transform these potatoes into a creamy, flavorful comfort food.
- Smashed Potatoes – The marriage between Baked Potatoes and Mashed Pots! Deliciously different and the perfect side dish for any meal!
- Creamy Hashbrown Potatoes – Just four ingredients, one dish, one hour in the oven and you end up with a rich dish to serve. This takes you to potato heaven! Enjoy a creamy, buttery casserole as the perfect comforting side dish for any meal!
- Perfect Baked Potatoes – Introducing the most Perfect Baked Potato Recipe that can easily be baked in your oven with no fuss! There’s a yummy, simple, secret ingredient that makes these baked potatoes even more perfect.
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Feta Cheese Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 6 yukon gold potatoes can substitute with red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic halved
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-high, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the feta cheese, cream, salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve with a few pats of butter!