Mashed potatoes are a holiday staple, but also a delicious, comforting side dish option for any meal any time of the year. I love a good standard mashed potato recipe, but adding feta cheese allows you to change up the flavors of this comforting side dish. Make this Feta Cheese Mashed Potato recipe for your next meal!
There is not a better side dish than mashed potatoes, am I right?! They are super easy to make, they’re comforting and everyone loves ’em! You just can’t go wrong. I have so many favorite versions of this popular side dish (see below for my list) and this feta cheese version is one of them. Watch people’s faces around the table as they take a bite of this uniquely delicious potato dish.
Adding feta to your next batch of mashed potatoes will add a ton of unique flavor. And the heavy cream in the recipe makes it super creamy.
HOW TO MAKE FETA CHEESE MASHED POTATOES
Place 5-6 medium-sized yellow or red potatoes and 4 halved garlic cloves in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until fork tender.
Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add:
- 4-oz. package feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Mash with a potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
Serve with a few pats of butter, an extra sprinkling of salt and pepper and extra crumbled feta!
- Leave the skins on adds a unique and delicious flavor and texture, but feel free to peel the potatoes first for a creamier end result.
- Especially with soft potatoes like red and yukon gold, be careful not to overmash or the texture can become gluey. (No blenders or electric mixers!)
- Replace with Russet potatoes if desired, but the flavor will be less buttery.
- Add up to 1/4 cup sour cream or 4 tablespoons butter for an even creamier texture and flavor.
- Use 2% or whole milk in place of heavy cream, if desired.
CAN YOU FREEZE MASHED POTATOES
Allow the mashed potatoes to completely cool before freezing. Place in a shallow container in an even layer and wrap tightly with foil. Place into a resealable freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to enjoy, allow the potatoes to thaw in the fridge overnight. Place in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, adding a small amount of milk and/or sour cream to add moisture. Heat until warmed through.
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER MASHED POTATOES
- Freeze them! (See note above for freezing instructions.)
- Use them to make your next Shepherd’s Pie.
- Serve pot roast over top of them.
- Throw them into a Thanksgiving Stromboli along with the rest of your leftovers!
WHAT TO ADD TO MASHED POTATOES
My favorite ingredients to mash with potatoes are butter and garlic. Here are a few other delicious options:
- Sour cream
- Greek yogurt and/or milk
- Salt and Pepper
- Cream Cheese
- Chopped chives
- Cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar
OTHER DELICIOUS POTATO RECIPES
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are creamy, smooth, delicious and easy to prepare. No boiling or saucepan/stove top cleaning required with this side dish. The Instant Pot gets this easy recipe done in 30 minutes!
- This is my Mom’s Mashed Potatoes recipe. It is the BEST and goes great with any main dish, any time of year. You’ll never need another mashed potato recipe again!
- This Classic Sweet Potato Casserole is great on your Thanksgiving table and also a perfect side dish that can be enjoyed any time of the year. It is filled with a delicious sweet potato mixture and topped with crunchy pecans and marshmallows.
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes – These are the perfect brunch side dish. Two delicious types of cheese transform these potatoes into a creamy, flavorful comfort food.
- Smashed Potatoes – The marriage between Baked Potatoes and Mashed Pots! Deliciously different and the perfect side dish for any meal!
- Creamy Hashbrown Potatoes – Just four ingredients, one dish, one hour in the oven and you end up with a rich dish to serve. This takes you to potato heaven! Enjoy a creamy, buttery casserole as the perfect comforting side dish for any meal!
- Perfect Baked Potatoes – Introducing the most Perfect Baked Potato Recipe that can easily be baked in your oven with no fuss! There’s a yummy, simple, secret ingredient that makes these baked potatoes even more perfect.
Feta Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 6 yukon gold potatoes can substitute with red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic halved
- 4 oz. feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-high, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the feta cheese, cream, salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve with a few pats of butter!