Mashed potatoes are such a creamy and versatile classic side dish, easily accompanying so many different dishes! Read on for 15 delicious ideas about what to eat with mashed potatoes!
Does anyone else feel like a giant bowl of dreamy mashed potatoes should be present at every single meal? Is it just me?
There’s something so delicious and perfect about this easy side dish. My mom made it a lot growing up and I never got tired of it.
Read on for a roundup of my favorite dishes to pair with this great side dish. Fifteen yummy ideas about what to eat with mashed potatoes are coming atcha! Whether you are making them to put on the dinner table this week or for a special occasion such as Thanksgiving dinner, we’ve got your back!
FAQ About Mashed Potatoes
A wide variety of foods pair well with mashed potatoes, but here are some favorites: turkey, vegetables, pork, chicken, shepherd’s pie and hot beef sandwiches.
Mashed potatoes should be given to your dog in moderation if there are dairy products included, as this can cause stomach issues. A small helping should be just fine for your pooch.
Adequate milk substitutions in mashed potatoes include almond milk, rice milk, oat milk, chicken broth, heavy cream, half and half, butter, Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Mashed potatoes can definitely be reheated in a crockpot. Transfer them to a lined slow cooker, spread into an even layer and cook on low heat setting for 4 hours.
Transfer mashed potatoes to an oven-safe dish and spread in an even layer. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
To freeze mashed potatoes, allow them to fully cool to room temp and separate them into sections so it is easier to thaw them. Place in a ziploc bag or a shallow container and freeze for up to 12 months. Double the freezer-safe bags or wrap the container well to avoid freezer burn.
Mashed Potato Recipes
- This is my mom’s perfect mashed potatoes recipe made with red potatoes. Yukon gold potatoes can be used as well. It is the best side dish you’ll ever meet with a super rich texture and it goes great with any meal, any time of the year.
- Make a scrumptious mashed potato casserole by baking this popular side dish along with some of your favorite ingredients such as bacon pieces, ground turkey, veggies or cheddar cheese.
- I love a good standard mashed potato recipe, but adding feta cheese to mashed russet potatoes allows you to change up the flavors of this classic comfort food.
- Instant Pot mashed pots are creamy, smooth, easy to prepare and have a super fluffy texture. No boiling or saucepan/stovetop cleaning required with this side dish. The Instant Pot gets this easy recipe done in 30 minutes!
- Leaving the skins on adds a unique and delicious flavor and texture, but feel free to peel the potatoes first to achieve creamy mashed potatoes.
- Especially with soft potatoes like red and yukon gold, be careful not to over mash or the texture can become gluey. (Avoid using a blender or electric mixer! Always use a potato masher to achieve creamy potatoes.)
- Optional ingredients to mix in: A little sour cream or cream cheese (or both!), brown sugar (for a touch of sweetness!), olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley or rosemary, white or red wine or heavy cream or milk.
- Options to add to the top of the mashed potatoes: sliced green onions, a pat of butter, black pepper, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs or shredded cheese.
- For extra flavor, add minced garlic cloves or garlic powder to this dish.
How Long Are Leftover Mashed Potatoes Good For
If you have leftovers staring at you from inside your refrigerator and you don’t know whether to toss or eat this yummy side dish, we’ve got the scoop for you!
Substitute for Milk in Mashed Potatoes
In a nutshell, many options are adequate replacements for milk in mashed pots. Some of the recommendations contain dairy products and others are dairy-free, so click over to find a few options that work for you, your family, possible allergies and/or a diet plan you’re trying to follow.
What To Eat With Mashed Potatoes
- Pork chops, pork roast or pork loin
- Roast turkey
- Tender Steak
- Pot Roast
- Beef Stroganoff
- Beef Wellington
- Baked or fried chicken
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Salisbury Steak
- Beef Stew
- Don’t forget to serve them with a delicious, rich gravy
- Vegetables such as green beans or mushrooms
- Hot sandwiches such as sliders, hot roast beef sandwiches or sloppy joes
- Casseroles such as tater tot casserole, green bean casserole or goulash
- Fish dishes such as salmon, baked flounder or fish cakes
- Beef or Pork Ribs
Veggie Stromboli Calzone
Veggie stromboli calzone will make guests rave, or make it for family dinner! Tuck your favorite pizza ingredients into yummy pizza dough.
Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
A childhood staple, Sloppy Joes are hearty and delicious! Now you can make Instant Pot Sloppy Joes for a super quick and easy dinner that has a sweet and savory sauce. This is the perfect recipe for family dinner and also potlucks.
Artichokes in Instant Pot
Fresh artichokes might look intimidating, but don’t be shy! With little effort you’ll get to the heart of the delicious vegetable.
Crockpot Ham with Pineapple Juice
Crockpot ham is an easy way to throw together a holiday dinner or easy any-time meal. This recipe requires almost no effort on your end and turns out wonderful for dinner with the perfect glaze and all!
This corn dip recipe made in a slow cooker is an ADDICTING crowd pleaser! Bacon and green chiles give it the perfect kick! Serve with chips or crackers as an appetizer or solo as a creamy side.
Ground Beef Sliders
This ground beef sliders recipe is the PERFECT party food. Bring these to your next party, no matter the theme or season, and they will be a hit!
How To Make An Instant Pot Whole Chicken Rotisserie Style
Cook a tender, perfectly roasted whole chicken in your Instant Pot rotisserie-style in less than an hour! This recipe turns out perfectly every time. Perfect for an easy dinner or to have on hand for added protein in your favorite chicken recipes throughout the week.
Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
This classic, comforting turkey shepherd’s pie recipe will leave everyone, big and small, wanting more. A ground meat, veggie-packed layer is covered by creamy, dreamy mashed potatoes and topped with melty cheese for good measure! This is a great weeknight dinner and also perfect party fare!
Instant Pot Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots
Make your next pot roast in your Instant Pot! Beef, potatoes, carrots and gravy are made in a single pot and they cook perfectly every time. This is the juiciest, most tender roast your lips will ever taste!
Instant Pot Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots are an easy dinner option any night of the week that the whole family will love!
Instant Pot Chicken
You can cook Instant Pot grilled chicken to simulate the tender, perfect chicken that comes from the grill. Start with thawed or frozen to create the most delicious chicken you will ever make.
Instant Pot Goulash
Make comforting, hearty Goulash in your Instant Pot! This Instant Pot Goulash recipe could not be easier or more delicious. It cooks perfectly every time and is done in only 30 minutes. Perfect easy dinner any night of the week!
Green Bean Casserole
This is the BEST Green Bean Casserole recipe for your table! It is a traditional holiday staple, yes, but also great any time of the year as a delicious side dish.
Fried walleye is a must-try Minnesota classic food! Friday fish fries are held throughout the state all summer long and walleye is the headliner. Whether you enjoy it on a sandwich slathered in tartar sauce or eaten solo, it’s a delicious meal. Served with butter and lemon, it is so delicious.
Chicken Fried Steak
This easy Chicken Fried Steak recipe is done in just 30 minutes! Tender beef is topped with a thick gravy made quickly with drippings from the pan. Perfect easy and comforting dinner for busy nights!
Instant Pot BBQ Ribs
These are the best Instant Pot ribs and they make for an easy, meaty meal! The meat is fall off the bone tender. Makes a super, easy weeknight meal or a fun summer bbq addition!
Leave a Reply