This Tater Tot Hotdish recipe is a classic Midwestern staple. Whether as a main or side, everyone at the table will be satisfied. Great for Thanksgiving or any time!
Original post: February 2016 | Updated: September 2021
Why This Recipe Works
Are you ready for Thanksgiving? Tell me about the spread you’re making this year! One of the dishes that always, and I mean ALWAYS, makes it to our Thanksgiving table is Tater Tot Hotdish. Or Tater Tot Casserole, if that’s more up your alley.
Here in Minnesota we go with Hotdish. Or more accurately, hahhhht-dish. This classic hotdish is typically served at Thanksgiving, yes, but it is a perfect addition to any dinner table, any time of the year.
Do you feel overwhelmed just thinking about planning a holiday menu? Then you anticipate the exhaustion that comes after the meal has been eaten?
Within each recipe in this ebook are tips for making the recipe ahead of time to open up space for the people you’re excited to spend the holiday with. Sample menus included, along with mouth-watering photos and tried-and-tested recipes!
Vegetables – Replace the corn and beans with 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables, if desired.
Cream of mushroom soup – Cream of chicken or cream of celery soup can replace cream of mushroom!
Ground beef – Ground turkey or sausage would be excellent replacement options for ground beef. Or skip the meat altogether to make it a meatless dish!
Tater tots – Frozen tater tots do not need to be thawed before adding them to the baking pan. Throw them in straight from the freezer!
How To Make This Easy Tater Tot Hotdish Recipe
Prep for this Tater Tot Casserole is minimal. There is no need to pre-cook veggies or tater tots. Easy peasy! This classic dinner is going to make your house smell good and fill everyone up!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Add ground beef to the pan and brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain grease from pan and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to onions and beef.
Add green beans, cream of mushroom soup, corn, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to the skillet. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes and pour in an even layer into prepared casserole dish.
Once the meat has been completely topped with a layer of tater tots (do this in a single layer), sprinkle the shredded cheese over top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until tater tots are golden brown and the cheddar cheese is melted.
- Replace the corn and green beans with 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables, if desired.
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder would be a great addition to the ground beef mixture.
- Assemble this dish one day ahead of time, minus tots and cheese. When you’re ready to bake, add frozen tots and shredded cheese, pop it into the oven and cook as directed!
- Add 1/2 cup sour cream to the beef-veggie mixture for an extra creamy consistency.
What Is A Hotdish?
Maybe you’re not from Minnesota (lovingly referred to as Minnesnowta!) and the word hotdish is confusing. Casserole is a more familiar word. Hotdish is a one-pot, easy comfort food to make, packed with a protein and potato (or some sort of starch), veggies and a gravy or sauce.
Why Is Hotdish So Popular?
Hot dish is a great option because it’s very affordable. Use frozen, canned or fresh veggies. Layer the meat, potatoes and veggies so you don’t spend a lot on any layer. Pack a lot of food into one pot. Also, it’s great for having leftovers or enough to feed a great big group!
Mac and Cheese Recipes for Thanksgiving – 13 Delicious Ideas!
Mac and cheese is a Thanksgiving staple! Read on for some scrumptious mac and cheese recipes for Thanksgiving that you can make this year! You’ll find a ton of options to choose from in this roundup.
What is the Best Way to Freeze a Casserole
This hotdish will stay fresh in the fridge store in an air-tight container for 5 days. If you want to freeze for later enjoyment, you have a couple options:
Assemble the layers as directed in an aluminum baking pan and wrap tightly in foil. Place into freezer bags and freeze for 3-4 months.
When you are ready to enjoy the casserole, thaw completely (preferably in the fridge overnight) and bake as directed.
Assemble the layers and bake as directed in an aluminum baking pan. Let the casserole cool completely and wrap tightly in foil. Place into resealable freezer bags and freeze for 3-4 months.
When you are ready to enjoy the casserole, let it thaw completely (preferably in the fridge overnight). Reheat in a 250 degree F oven uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
FAQ About Tater Tots
Not all varieties of tater tots are gluten free, so be sure to check the nutritional labels before purchasing.
One serving of tater tots contains approximately 150 calories and 8 grams of fat and over 400 mg of sodium. The extraordinary amount of sodium makes it a rather unhealthy food.
There are approximately 10 tater tots in a single serving of tater tots.
Cheap Dinner Ideas Using Ground Beef
Make dinner and affordable with this delicious list of affordable dinner ideas using ground beef as a main ingredient. Ground beef does not need to be boring!
Ground Beef and Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipes
Simplify dinner tonight! Create an easy, affordable and delicious meal using two hearty main ingredients. Click over for a handful of ground beef and cream of mushroom soup recipes!
Delicious Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- This is my Mom’s Mashed Potatoes recipe and it is the BEST ever. Great with any main dish, any time of year. You’ll never need another mashed potato recipe again!
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce is a delicious dish to add to any meal, most famously known for being part of your Thanksgiving table!
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are creamy, smooth, delicious and easy to prepare. No boiling or saucepan/stovetop cleaning required with this side dish.
- This Classic Sweet Potato Casserole is great on your Thanksgiving table and also a perfect side dish that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
- Throw just a few ingredients in your slow cooker to create crockpot green bean casserole. Great Thanksgiving or any-time as a side dish!
- This delicious Crockpot Stuffing with Leeks and Sausage is made easier in a slow cooker! The addition of leeks and sausage makes it unique and delicious. Don’t limit this to Thanksgiving fare.
- If you really love to have low carb options available, try this Cauliflower Stuffing recipe! It’s an easy, healthy side dish for your next holiday meal! Cauliflower stuffing is a low carb, gluten free recipe that does not lack in flavor.
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Tater Tot Hotdish Recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup green beans frozen
- 1 cup sweet corn frozen
- 21.50 oz cream of mushroom soup 2 cans-10.75 oz each
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 32 oz tater tots frozen
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain grease from pan and add salt and pepper to onions and beef.
- Add green beans, corn, soup, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to the skillet. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes and pour in an even layer into prepared baking dish.
- Top with the tater tots (in a single layer), followed by the cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until tater tots are lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- To add a bit of spice to the dish, add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the beef onion mixture.
- Two cups of frozen mixed vegetables can replace the green beans and corn.
- Cream of chicken or cream of celery soup can replace cream of mushroom, if desired!
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder would be a great addition to the beef mixture.
- Ground turkey or sausage would be excellent replacement options for ground beef or skip the meat altogether to make it a meatless dish!
- Frozen tater tots do not need to be thawed before adding them to the baking pan. Throw them in straight from the freezer!