Simplify dinner tonight! Create an easy, affordable and delicious meal using two hearty main ingredients. Keep reading for 14 ground beef and cream of mushroom soup recipes!
Original post: December 2021 | Updated: October 2023
Ground Beef and Cream of Mushroom Recipes
Below is a delicious collection of ideas, detailing recipes to make using ground beef and cream of mushroom soup.
- Create a delicious casserole with ground beef and soup as a base. Add vegetables of your choice, hash browns or other potatoes, cheese or rice.
- Beef stroganoff. Replace beef round steak with cooked ground beef to create an easy beef stroganoff! Cook the egg noodles and pour the beef mixture over top.
- Sloppy Joes. Add the creamy soup to your next batch of savory sandwiches.
- Gravy. Combine these ingredients with a flour or cornstarch slurry to create a savory, easy gravy.
- Homemade Hamburger Helper. Add cooked pasta of your choice to soup and ground meat to create a super easy hamburger helper meal from scratch.
- Meaty macaroni and cheese. Stir these ingredients into your next batch of creamy mac and cheese.
- Use as a meaty topping. Cook the beef and soup in a large skillet over medium heat until smooth. Pour over cooked noodles, white or brown rice, mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes or even burgers. Throw in some sauteed fresh mushrooms for added flavor and texture.
- Scroll down to the bottom of this post for 7 additional cream of mushroom soup and ground beef recipes!
Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cream of celery soup
- Cheddar cheese soup
- Cream of potato soup
- Whole milk
- Golden mushroom soup
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Heavy whipping cream
- The most healthy substitute for cream of mushroom soup is Greek yogurt
How To Cut Frozen Ground Beef
If you have a block of frozen ground beef that you want to use now, there are ways around this problem!
First, place it (in its packaging) in a large bowl filled with hot water for 5 minutes to soften it. Place it on a cutting board and use a large, sharp knife to cut it into as many chunks as you need.
If you do not have time to soften it in hot water first, use an electric knife to cut through it.
How To Tell If Ground Beef Is Bad
Ground beef can turn brown when it has been exposed to air for an extended period of time, whether in the fridge or at room temperature. This does not necessarily mean the meat has gone bad.
There are a few ways too determine if the meat is bad. First, note its appearance. A pink, fresh looking pile of ground beef is likely not expired. If it has a slimy texture or contains an off odor, you should toss the meat to be on the safe side.
Be sure to always store ground beef in the freezer or in the fridge in an airtight container to extend the shelf life.
How To Make Ground Beef Taste Better
- Check out this post for some tips about how to enhance the flavor in any type of food or dish!
- Add garlic powder or onion powder.
- Chicken broth or beef broth are great flavor-boosters.
- If your ground beef lacks moisture and flavor or if you are using a super lean ground beef (or ground turkey), add some cooked ground pork to the mix.
- Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce work magic!
- Spice it up using red pepper flakes, chili powder, cayenne pepper or diced jalapenos.
- Any fresh herbs such as fresh parsley or basil will enhance the flavor profile.
- Include cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese or any shredded cheese that melts well.
- Add chopped green bell peppers, onion, green onions or carrots that have been sauteed in olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Add paprika, cumin, Italian seasoning or whatever your personal preference might be.
- Salt and black pepper are simple ways to enhance flavor.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top and bake in the oven for a few minutes.
Ground Beef Dinner Recipes
Make dinner and affordable with this delicious list of dinner ideas using ground beef. Ground beef does not need to be boring!
Tater Tot Hotdish
This Tater Tot Hotdish recipe is a family favorite and a classic Midwestern staple. Whether as a main or side, everyone at the table will be satisfied. This is one of those comforting meals that is great for Thanksgiving or any time!
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe with Hamburger
This Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe with Hamburger (from Kindly Unspoken) is creamy, delicious, and made with a delicious stroganoff sauce including light sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, beef broth, ground beef, and tender egg noodles. Even better this hamburger beef stroganoff takes less than 25 minutes to make and the whole family will love it!
This Hamburger Gravy recipe (from The Cozy Cook) is SO easy to make with ground beef. Cream of mushroom soup can be added or left out! Serve this creamy sauce over noodles, mashed potatoes, or biscuits for a classic comfort food that your family will love.
Minnesota Sloppy Joe
Minnesota Sloppy Joes (from I Am Homesteader) are made with cream of mushroom soup and defined by the potato chips and dill pickles that go on top of the sloppy joe, inside the bun. Forget about just having potato chips on the side to go with the sloppy joe; crunch right into the chips and pickles as you take your bites of the sandwich.
Homemade Hamburger Helper
I had thought how to make hamburger helper (from Just A Pinch) and this recipe was belonged to my husband’s mom and she cooked them for her whole family. It is so easy to fix it and it is so good and tasty.
Old-Country Style Slow Cooker Creamy Ground Beef and Shells
Put your slow cooker to good use tonight when you make this creamy and hearty ground beef and shells dish (from Cooktop Cove). Seasoned and browned ground beef is stewed into a cream of mushroom soup base, along with al dente shell pasta, to make a delightfully comforting dish reminiscent of beef stroganoff.
It’s the ideal meal to make on a cold winter’s night or even for a large party where you’re serving many people.
5 Ingredient Ground Beef Casserole
5-Ingredient Ground Beef Casserole (from Back To My Southern Roots) is a budget-friendly and easy dinner recipe for the entire family.