This super cheesy and comforting hot crab dip is a party staple! It is an irresistible appetizer that comes together quickly and easily. Serve with baby carrots, pita chips or crackers for dipping!
Why This Recipe Works
‘Tis the season for comfort food, folks. It is so ridiculously hard for me to resist totally gorging on ALL the yummy food this time of year. There is so much to enjoy! Hot dips are one of my big-time weaknesses. Set one in front of me and my willpower is GONE. If you are as big of a fan as I am, you absolutely have to make this delicious dip.
Do you have an upcoming party? Or are you looking for a comforting, indulgent snacky dinner this week? This hot crab dip recipe is PERFECT! Not only is it impossible to stop eating once you start, it is also super easy to make.
Throw lump crab meat into a baking dish along with a few other easy ingredients and bake for 20 minutes! That’s it!
How To Make Hot Crab Dip
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a square or medium round baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the crab meat, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, 1 cup shredded cheddar, green chiles (if using), Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and add to the prepared dish. Spread in an even layer.
Top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Top with green onions and fresh tomatoes. Serve immediately!
- We recommend using refrigerated lump crabmeat for this recipe for best results. If you are unable to find it, chop up approximately 1 cup of imitation crab and use as a replacement.
- Cheddar cheese can easily be replaced with cheddar-jack cheese, mozzarella, provolone, monterey jack or any cheese that melts well.
- Squirt lemon juice into the crab mixture for an extra punch of freshness!
- There are a ton of options for dipping! Consider serving pita chips, crackers, tortilla chips or baby carrots alongside the dip.
- Reduce the cream cheese by half and omit sour cream for a more healthy dish.
- Add a dash of Old Bay Seasoning to the dip for extra flavor!
Dip Recipes with Sour Cream and Cream Cheese
Creamy dips are the ultimate party food. Read through this roundup of dip recipes with sour cream and cream cheese to gather ideas for your next gathering!
Canned Crab vs Fresh Crab Meat
Canned meat is available on your grocer’s shelf and can be popped right out of the can and can also be eaten plain. Often it comes with fillers in addition to crab, so pay attention to the ingredient list as flavors may have been added that will affect your recipe. Fresh crab meat is more costly since it requires extra work to harvest the meat, but it has amazing flavor and will make your next recipe taste delicious
Hot Dip Recipes
I am obsessed with the best, cheesiest, most comforting hot dips. Here is a a list of my absolute favorites that go well on any party table!
- Sausage Cheese Dip is easy to make (let your crockpot do the work for you!), cheesy, flavorful and totally irresistible! Serve as an appetizer at your next party and it won’t last long. Only 6 ingredients required for this delicious party food!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – This hot Spinach Artichoke Dip is a party staple! People always get excited about this dip and its so easy to make! It’s a filling, cheesy snack or appetizer that you can put on pita squares, crackers or chips.
- Slow Cooker Hot Creamy Corn – This Hot Corn Dip is ADDICTING! Bacon and green chiles give this dish the kick is needs. Sprinkle some cilantro into the cheesy corn dish for a perfect brunch dish.
- Slow Cooker Club Sandwich Dip – Turn the classic Club Sandwich into a jaw-dropping hot dip. This irresistible dip is a great party food or weekend appetizer/snack. Let your slow cooker make this delicious recipe for you!
- This Hot Corn and Crab Dip is the perfect appetizer for any party! The creaminess of the garlicky cheese and addition of sweet bell peppers, corn, and jalapenos are an awesome combination with the delicious crab. Make it as mild or as spicy as you’d like!
- Pan-Fried Brie with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto is your new favorite appetizer! This savory party food will be a hit at any gathering. Be prepared to share the recipe because everyone will be asking for it!
Hot Crab Dip Recipe
- 6 oz. lump crab meat
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 oz. diced green chiles optional
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a square or medium round baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crab meat, cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, 1 cup shredded cheddar, green chiles (if using), Worcestershire, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and add to the prepared dish. Spread in an even layer and top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Top with green onions and fresh tomatoes. Serve immediately with pita chips, crackers or baby carrots!