Make your own taco sauce to use in a variety of Mexican dishes, such as tacos, burritos and taco salads. Ditch the store-bought version so you know EXACTLY what goes inside! Make homemade taco sauce with a handful of ingredients and in just a few minutes!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made from this page.
I occasionally become obsessed with foods as well as other random things (my husband can verify this) and homemade sauces happen to be one of those things lately.
It is so nice to have control over what goes into my sauces because, well, have you ever looked at the labels on store bought taco sauce (corn syrup, preservatives, etc)? I don’t even know how to pronounce most of the ingredients!
And honestly, there’s nothing better than homemade and that goes for every recipe under the sun, this taco sauce not excluded. Make a big batch, throw it in the fridge and use it throughout the week in place of ketchup! It’ll add a zing and flavor to every bite of food you take.
There is no longer a need to steal dozens of Taco Bell sauce packets, ha! This recipe is quick and easy and will soon become a staple in your kitchen.
HOW TO MAKE TACO SAUCE AT HOME
In a small saucepan, combine the following ingredients:
- Tomato sauce or tomato puree
- Apple cider vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Onion powder
- Garlic salt or powder
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Let simmer (stirring occasionally) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thickened. Let cool and store in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready for use.
USES FOR TACO SAUCE
- Drizzle it over your next batch of Taco Cups or Baked Tacos!
- Replace it with salsa in your next taco salad, or regular old salad, for that matter.
- Drizzle it over your next heaping plate of nachos!
- Taco sauce tastes great in any Mexican food recipe.
- Replace your standard hot sauce of choice with taco sauce.
- Seriously, you guys, use it in place of ketchup for just about anything! Eggs, hash browns, burgers and so much more.
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
HOW LONG DOES THIS RECIPE FOR TACO SAUCE LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
Once the taco sauce has cooled, pour it into an air-tight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. It can also be frozen in a heavy duty freezer bag for 3-4 months.
GOOD ALTERNATIVES TO TACO SAUCE
If taco sauce isn’t your thing, there are a lot of good options out there to add to your tacos or taco salads!
BEST HOMEMADE SAVORY SAUCES TO MAKE NEXT!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
If you use this zingy seasoning regularly, the homemade version is worth making. It’s super affordable (you probably have all of the ingredients sitting in your spice cupboard!) and a little bit really does go a long, long way.
Plus you have control over exactly what you are seasoning your meat with. No more store bought taco seasoning, people!
In a small bowl, combine the following:
- Chili powder
- Paprika (use smoked paprika for a smoky flavor)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want it to be)
Mix well and that is IT!
USES FOR TACO SEASONING
- Sprinkle it into your next batch of ground beef taco meat.
- Stir it into any creamy dip (yum).
- Really, you could add it to just about any meat-based meal to transform it into a tasty, spicy food. I’m thinking meatballs, burgers or even chicken.
- Use it as a rub on your next Rotisserie chicken or batch of ribs!
- Add it to salad dressing for an extra zing.
HOW TO FREEZE TACO MEAT
Freezing taco meat is super easy, which makes it one of my favorite things about it! Once it has cooled, spoon it into a resealable freezer bag. Remove as much air from the bag as possible and seal tightly.
Arrange the meat within the bag so that it is in a flat layer. Place the bag in the freezer so that it lies flat. Freeze for 3-4 months.
When you are ready to enjoy the meat allow it to thaw completely, preferably in the fridge overnight. Add the contents to a skillet and heat over medium heat until just heated through. Add a few tablespoons of broth or water, if needed.
FAVORITE CINCO DE MAYO RECIPES
Here are a few of my favorite recipes to make for your next Cinco de Mayo gathering!
Homemade Taco Sauce
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Let simmer (stir occasionally) for 15 minutes, or until thickened.
- Let cool and store in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready for use.