A meatball sub transformed into a comforting casserole! Garlic Bread, Cheese, Italian flavors and Meatballs come together for this perfect weeknight family dinner! Best of all, it’s done in under 45 minutes!
A few summers ago I had an addiction to food magazines. It was bad. I spent most of my spare time flipping through them, salivating over photos, excited to make a million different recipes. I still have my enormous stash and over the years Dan has occasionally threatened to throw them away. The audacity! Of course I always say “NO,” but recently I have agreed that the magazines are taking up valuable real estate in our shrinking home.
My compromise: to sort through every single magazine and tear out all of the must-makes. It has been a time-consuming process, but it’s been fun! One of the gems I ran across was this recipe from Taste of Home that inspired the casserole detailed in this post. It is just about the most perfect dinner you could ask for. The ENTIRE family will love it. We LOOOOOOVED it and gobbled it up very quickly.
Layer a 9×13 baking dish with: frozen garlic bread (cooked according to package directions), cream-cheese-mayo-Italian-seasoning mixture, shredded mozzarella, marinara sauce, frozen meatballs (no need to thaw) and remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Are you enjoying your summer? I hope it’s going great for all of you! Enjoy your week!
One year ago: Veggie Confetti Pasta
Two years ago: Red Fruit Salad
Meatball Sub Casserole
- 8 slices frozen garlic bread
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 24 oz. jar marinara sauce
- 22 oz. bag frozen meatballs
- Bake garlic bread according to package directions. Decrease temperature on oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and line the bottom of the pan with a single layer of the prepared garlic bread slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayo and Italian seasoning. Mix well and spread evenly over the tops of the garlic bread slices. Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella over the top, followed by the marinara sauce and meatballs (no need to thaw meatballs first).
- Top with 1 cup of mozzarella and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve warm!