A gin and tonic is a refreshing, simple cocktail to enjoy any time of the year. It is super easy to make requiring only a few ingredients. Great served at parties or on a lazy summer evening on the deck!
I love a good summer cocktail, but sadly summer is nearing its end. We hadn’t made a good summer drink in a while, so I asked Dan to make us a super easy and delicious gin and tonic while we watched the sun fade into the horizon. This simple beverage is one that we used to make years ago (think: 2010) and it was refreshing to taste it again.
This drink is refreshing, fresh, simple, quick and it goes down easily!
HOW TO MAKE A CLASSIC GIN AND TONIC COCKTAIL
Add the following ingredients to a medium pitcher:
- Juice from 2 limes (reserve rinds)
- 4 jiggers gin (1 jigger = 1.5-oz. shot glass)
- Few splashes tonic water
Mix well and divide between two low-ball glasses filled with ice cubes (or skip the ice!). Top each glass with a splash of tonic water and garnish with lime wedges.
GIN AND TONIC RATIO
The ratio of gin:tonic depends on a few factors. Consider your taste and how much gin you want to taste. Also consider the strength of the gin and how many mixers being added. Most recipes have between a 1:1 to 1:3 ratio of gin:tonic/fresh lime juice.
HOW MANY CALORIES AND CARBS IN A GIN AND TONIC
Each serving (there are 2 servings in the recipe card on this post) contains 290 calories and 26 grams of carbohydrates.
BEST GIN FOR GIN AND TONIC
There are many options, so choose based on your taste and budget. Check out this article from Thrillist to get specific information on each variety and what is considered a good gin. Our personal faves are Bombay Sapphire (spendy, but delish) and Tanqueray (not as spendy and still delish).
HOW TO SELECT A PERFECTLY RIPE LIME
I have limes on hand all the time because their delicious juice goes great with so many different foods. Fresh lime juice spruces up salad, chicken, all different types of beverages and so many other things. When selecting limes at the grocery store, look for these attributes to make sure you are getting the juiciest, ripest ones:
- First, smell the lime. Go ahead, put it right up to your nose and smell for a strong limey scent. The stronger the scent of lime, the riper the fruit will be.
- The darker green limes are typically riper and juicier, as well. The exception to this is if you are purchasing key limes. Key limes are smaller in size and have a more concentrated flavor and are typically used to make key lime pie or key lime cookies. With key limes, a yellow color indicates ripeness instead of a green color.
- The heavier the lime feels in your hands, the more juice is hiding inside!
- Gently squeeze the lime in your hands. The more give a lime has, the juicier it’ll be. If it is too squishy it may be past its prime, so be sure it doesn’t give too much.
OTHER DELICIOUS COCKTAIL RECIPES
- The Best Margaritas – This is the best margarita recipe EVER! My husband spent years perfecting this delicious tequila cocktail. You will never need another margarita recipe again!
- 4 Can Margaritas – Pour only FOUR ingredients into a pitcher and a batch of refreshing margaritas is ready for guests! Making drinks could not be easier! All you’ll need is Squirt, tequila, a can of beer and limeade. Easy and delicious!
- Grapefruit Lime Margaritas – Switch up the standard margarita by replacing sweet and sour mix with fresh citrus juice! These Grapefruit Lime Margaritas are refreshing and delicious and perfect for summer!
- Easy Lemon Drop – This Lemon Drop Cocktail is EASY to make and is sure to impress guests. Use honey simple syrup for a less sweet version of the popular adult drink.
- Blueberry Mojitos – A fun little twist on a delicious summery drink! These Blueberry Mojitos are super fresh and yummy.
- Mint Juleps – Mint Juleps are the official drink of the Kentucky Derby! Minty, satisfying and refreshing!
- Pink Lily – The Pink Lily Cocktail is a Kentucky Derby favorite drink! Enjoy any time of the year!
- The Best Mai Tai – This is the closest you’ll get to replicating the Vegas Mirage hotel’s famous Mai Tai. One of my favorite alcoholic beverages ever!
- Salty Dogs – Vodka and grapefruit juice make a great team! This alcoholic drink is irresistible and a great sipper for sitting on the deck.
Gin and Tonic
- juice from 2 limes reserve rinds
- 4 oz gin 1 jigger=1.5 oz. shot glasss
- few splashes tonic water
- lime wedges for garnish
- Add to a medium pitcher: lime juice, gin and reserved lime rinds. Mix well.
- Divide between two low-ball glasses filled with ice. Top each glass with a splash of tonic water and garnish with extra lime wedges, if desired.