This is a replica of Paula Deen’s totally irresistible Ooey Gooey Butter Cake! Two distinct and delicious layers come together to make an easy and delicious dessert. This is the perfect treat for parties!
While I was visiting friends in Texas, we tried out Paula Deen’s Ooey Gooey Butter Cake for dessert. I LOVED IT. Once I got back home, I decided I needed to make it again. You know, to share it with YOU!
This is a super deliciously sweet and addicting dessert. Don’t stop here with the indulgent treats. Check out my Salted Caramel Oatmeal Bars, the best ever blondie recipe and Cranberry Bliss Bars (a Starbucks copycat treat!).
HOW TO MAKE OOEY GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
This amazing cake was made by mistake by a baker in the St. Louis area but it’s a delicious one!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9×13 baking pan.
In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, egg and 1 stick of butter. Using a hand-held mixer, beat on medium speed until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased pan and set aside.
Using a hand-held mixer, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth; add eggs, beating well after each addition and finally incorporate the vanilla into the mixture.
Add the powdered sugar and mix well with an electric mixer. Add 1 stick of butter and mix until smooth. Fold in the toffee bits using a spatula.
Pour cake mixture over top of the crust and spread evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, leaving the center of the cake gooey. Add sprinkles, if desired. Let cool and cut into squares.
There’s no chocolate in this recipe, but you could add a half cup of mini chocolate chips and be happy! Or swap out the yellow cake mix for chocolate cake mix!
Add a dollop of whipped cream to the top of each piece just before serving!
KENTUCKY BUTTER VS OOEY GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
Kentucky Butter Cake and Ooey Gooey Butter Cake share several similarities – starting with the extra amount of butter used to make them more than just delicious. But Kentucky Butter Cake is a moist pound cake with a tasty butter sauce poured over top.
This gooey treat, on the other hand, is perfect as a finger food and looks more like blonde brownies. The base of the cake is yellow cake but the top layer is more creamy and almost velvety.
HOW TO STORE OOEY GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
You can enjoy this for a day or two sitting at room temperature in a sealed container. To freeze, tightly wrap the bars in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place inside a freezer ziploc bag.
Paula Deen Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- 18.25 oz yellow cake mix box mix
- 1 cup salted butter softened, 2 sticks, divided
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 large eggs room temperature, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 oz confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 8 oz milk chocolate toffee bits
- sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, 1 egg and 1 stick of butter. Using a hand-held mixer, beat on medium speed until combined. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and set aside.
- Place the cream cheese, 2 eggs and the vanilla in a large bowl. Using a hand-held mixer, beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth. Add 1 stick of butter and beat until smooth. Fold in the toffee bits using a spatula.
- Pour mixture over top of the crust and spread evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, leaving the center of the cake gooey. Add sprinkles, if desired. Let cool and cut into squares.