Whether you refer to this irresistible treat as puppy chow or muddy buddies, you are going to be happy to have this recipe as part of your holiday arsenal. This is the EASIEST dessert to throw together, with just a few ingredients and a few minutes of your time. Great for winter snacking and holiday parties alike!
You guys! I’m such a pig this time of year! Even when I have veggies aplenty stocked in the fridge, I still get tempted with the treats. Maybe if I didn’t make them I wouldn’t eat them? Ahh yes, perhaps that’s my problem. Puppy chow is one of those dessert treats that I literally cannot keep my hands off of when it is in my home.
Sometimes called Muddy Buddies, this is the most perfect sweet treat to bring to parties this time of year because of the delicious factor AND the easy factor. I’m talking just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes of your time. When you set a bowl full of puppy chow on a party table, watch it closely. People will be drawn to it and then won’t be able to stop coming back. Everyone will love this recipe!
HOW TO MAKE PUPPY CHOW
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the following ingredients:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup salted butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
Heat for 1 minute, stir and heat in 15-second intervals (stirring after each) until creamy and free of lumps. Don’t overheat. The mixture should not take longer than 90 seconds at most.
Add 6-7 cups of Rice Chex cereal to the bowl and mix until well coated. Alternatively, pour the cereal into a large bowl and drizzle the melted chocolate mixture over top of that.
Pour the contents into a large ziploc bag and add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Use your hands to ensure all pieces are completely coated with the sugar. Refrigerate for 1 hour, pour into a bowl and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Be sure not to over-cook the peanut butter and chocolate mixture. Give the mixture a good stir after the initial 60 seconds in the microwave and all the lumps should melt away. If not, microwave for an additional 15 seconds and stir again. If you overheat the mixture you could ruin it.
- Store puppy chow in the fridge for best results.
- Rice Chex can be replaced with Wheat or Corn Chex.
- When you combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter be sure that all ingredients are at room temperature for the best melting outcome.
- Substitute peanut butter with any nut or seed butter if you are worried about peanut allergies.
- If all pieces do not get coated with sugar in the plastic bag, add 1/2 cup more and continue coating.
- Do not exceed 7 cups of cereal in order to ensure all of it will get fully coated with the gooey chocolate mixture.
- This is a gluten free treat, so be sure to let guests know that!
WHAT TO SERVE AT A PARTY
I LOVE party food, so you have come to the right place if you are looking for recipes to make for your next gathering. Here are some options for you that will be easy, delicious and crowd-pleasing!
- Fruit Pizza – The classic, crowd-pleasing Fruit Pizza has a cookie dough crust, dreamy cream cheese frosting and a colorful top layer of fruit and a tasty glaze. Great appetizer/dessert for parties of any kind, any time of the year!
- Pigs in a Blanket are a party favorite for kids and adults alike! They can be thrown together in minutes and require only a handful of ingredients. Great recipe to make for any type of party, whether for game days or as an appetizer at a holiday meal. They’ll go fast!
- This Easy Cheese Ball recipe is delicious and perfect for any type of gathering! Three types of cheese, bacon and green onions are packed inside and out of this irresistible party or game day food. Serve with crackers or veggies!
- Pickle Roll-ups are most perfect appetizer for any type of gathering! Only THREE ingredients, ten minutes of your time and guests will be raving! These pop in your mouth so easily and will be gone in no time.
- Brie Stuffed Mushrooms – Sauteed mushrooms stuffed with Brie cheese and topped with a green onion and garlic mixture turn into cute and perfect little bites. Great for party tables of any variety! They’ll go fast, so consider making a double batch!
- This zesty, easy Buffalo Chicken Dip comes together using only 4 ingredients. You’ll WOW everyone with this delicious hot dip at your next party!
BEST COOKIES FOR HOLIDAY BAKING
Add these delicious cookies to your holiday baking list, too!
- These delicious Chewy Gingersnaps are the perfect chewy treat. Plus they are super easy to make. Flavored with molasses and spices and the finishing touch – topped with simple icing! Enjoy making these, as they are the perfect holiday baking cookie recipe!
- These are the BEST Sugar Cookies. They are super easy to make (using only seven ingredients) and they are perfect for decorating. You will never need another sugar cookie recipe again!
- Triple Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint Frosting are already a thick, perfect cookie but Nutella sets them over the edge in goodness. You can’t skip topping them with decadent peppermint buttercream frosting because it transforms them into the perfect dessert. It’s a fun holiday flavor and they look pretty too!
- These Chocolate Kiss Cream Cheese Cookies are a great dessert for gatherings any time of the year. They are light, creamy and sugary, with just the perfect kiss of milk chocolate!
- Hot Cocoa Cookies are like enjoying a cup of hot chocolate, except in cookie form. Chocolate oozes from the centers of these marshmallow-topped treats. These rich cookies are perfect for holiday parties and dessert trays!
- Oreo Balls are an easy no-bake dessert requiring only three ingredients! This easy dessert is great for the holidays or any time of year. Decorate with colored sprinkles to be festive and match the occasion.
- These are the BEST Gingerbread Cookies you’ll find! Super easy to make and loved by everyone. Great for the holidays!
Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup salted butter cut into chunks
- 7 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, stir and heat in 30-second intervals (stirring after each) until creamy and free of lumps. Add the cereal to the bowl and mix until well coated.
- Pour the contents into a large ziploc bag and add the powdered sugar. Use your hands to ensure all pieces are coated with the sugar. Refrigerate for 1 hour, pour into a bowl and cover until ready to serve.