This Chicken Wild Rice Soup recipe is packed with delicious flavor and the wild rice adds a texture that can not be achieved by any other variety of rice. Comforting, creamy and hearty, this is the perfect dish to make for any meal.
One of the first meals my sister made for me as an adult that I fell in love with was Chicken Wild Rice Soup. I remember so vividly being blown away by the creaminess and the variety of textures and flavors hiding inside. I set out on a mission to make the tastiest and dreamiest version I possibly could, and here it is.
This is one of my all-time favorite soup recipes and it is easy-peasy to make (seriously easy, you guys). It is such a great option for simple weeknight dinners or for larger gatherings. I cannot speak more highly of this recipe. It is a GREAT option for a cold winter night!
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP
In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Whisk in the flour.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to simmer over medium-low heat.
Add cooked rice, cooked chicken, carrots and almonds. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Add the evaporated milk and cooking sherry. Heat to serving temperature and avoid boiling. Serve immediately!
- To save time cooking chicken breasts for this soup, pull and use the meat from a large Rotisserie chicken. Or make your own Rotisserie-style chicken in your Instant Pot!
- Replace evaporated milk with heavy cream for an even creamier texture.
- Olive oil can be used in place of butter, if desired.
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots is a lot for some, so reduce this amount if you desire. I love the addition of texture and burst of color, but there is definitely wiggle room for reducing amounts!
- Be sure to fully cook the wild rice before adding it to the soup. For an extra flavorful soup, cook the rice in chicken broth!
- Top with extra chopped or slivered almonds!
- Replace the flour with corn starch for a gluten free meal.
HOW TO COOK FROZEN WHOLE CHICKEN IN THE PRESSURE COOKER
Visit this recipe for full details, but here are a few important recipe notes.
- Cooking time varies based on the size of your chicken AND Instant Pot.
- Why? Because larger size Instant Pot has larger volume (area) for more pressure to build up. Thus, it takes longer to bring pressure down.
- Therefore, 8 quart pressure cooker keeps cooking chicken while bringing down pressure for 40 minutes vs. 6 quart that takes only 15 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP IN A SLOW COOKER
Follow this recipe for the crockpot version of this soup OR combine all ingredients in a crock pot (LEAVE THE RICE UNCOOKED!) and cook on high heat for 4 hours or low heat for 8 hours. Do not add the cooked chicken until 30 minutes before cook time is up.
OTHER DELICIOUS CHICKEN SOUP RECIPES
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is the BEST! It is packed with flavor, it is super easy to make and it tastes like it’s been cooked low and slow all day long. Throw it together for your next family dinner OR your next big gathering.
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili becomes even MORE delicious when made in an Instant Pot. Packed with turkey meat, white beans and veggies, this will quickly become a dinner favorite! This comfort food is super flavorful and delicious.
- Make a batch of comforting Chicken Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot! Using a pressure cooker will save you time and will produce the most perfectly cooked soup you’ll ever taste.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup – Transform Chicken Fajitas into a delicious, savory soup that will quickly become a family favorite! Mix and match vegetables to your liking! Chicken Fajita Soup is great served for family dinner.
- Delicious soup does not have to be difficult! This Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup tastes like the real deal, but requires half the effort. Creamy, rich, satisfying and filled with texture, this will be a great addition to your dinner rotation!
- Make this delicious Chicken Rice Soup with homemade turkey stock…it is so delicious! A hearty broth with healthy vegetables and rice will keep you warm and filled up. Comforting, warm and great for family dinner or large gatherings.
OTHER DELICIOUS CHICKEN RECIPES
I like to buy bulk chicken packs at Costco – both chicken breasts and thighs work. It’s affordable and so versatile for cooking! Here’s some great ways to put that chicken to use.
- Chicken Rice Bake – Chicken Rice Bake is made in one pan and packed with delicious flavor. This easy dinner is packed with a variety of textures and it is the perfect family dinner to make any night of the week. Guaranteed to become a favorite!
- Grilled Chicken and Veggies in Foil – This Whole30 Grilled Chicken and Veggies is the easiest and healthiest summer grilling recipe! Throw a few ingredients into a piece of foil and throw it on the grill.
- Artichoke Chicken Rice Skillet – This Artichoke Chicken Rice Skillet is the PERFECT, easy weeknight dinner. With the saltiness of green olives and some swiss cheese mixed in, this skillet recipe has all the flavors! It has a great texture and this tasty meal will not disappoint!
- Instant Pot Whole Rotisserie Chicken – Cook a tender, perfectly roasted whole chicken in your Instant Pot in less than an hour! This recipe turns out perfectly every time. Perfect for an easy dinner or to have on hand for added protein in your salads throughout the week.
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken – You need to try this mixture on a bun because it’s an addicting and delicious lunch or dinner option that everyone will enjoy. Great weeknight meal AND the perfect party food!
- One-Pan Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – Dinner has never been easier! NO PREP is required for this quick and delicious Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole. Simplify those busy weeknights by adding this hearty meal to the dinner rotation!
- Easy Classic Chicken Alfredo – Easy, creamy Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo is the perfect dinner recipe for busy nights. Done in 30 minutes and made in a single pan, everyone at the table will love this comforting dish!
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice – A perfect weeknight dinner, this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe boasts flavor, veggies and rice all in one dish. Kids and adults love it! So delicious and easy, making dinner a breeze while also filling everyone at the table up.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or corn starch
- 48 oz chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups wild rice cooked
- 4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups carrots grated, approximately 2 large
- 1/2 cup almonds chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 3 tbsp cooking sherry
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Whisk in the flour. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to simmer over medium-low heat.
- Add cooked rice, cooked chicken, carrots, almonds, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add the evaporated milk and cooking sherry. Heat to serving temperature and avoid boiling. Serve immediately!