Learn how to make toasted pecans for snacking or to throw into your next salad! Ready in just a few minutes and with little effort!
Original post: December 2010 | Updated: November 2019
I love it when very little effort can transform a food or recipe into a delicious, extraordinary creation. This rings true for nuts (especially pecans!) when you take just a few minutes to toast them in the oven.
Pecans are delicious solo, but when they’re toasted? They are out of this world delicious little snacks.
Keep reading for ideas about how to use toasted pecans!
HOW TO MAKE TOASTED PECANS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Place 2 cups of pecans in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle melted butter over the top and sprinkle lightly with salt. Toss pecans and bake in the preheated oven for 5-8 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Feel free to replace the pecans with another type of nuts. All toasted nuts are delish! Almonds, hazelnuts, pine nuts or walnuts, just to name a few! (Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the nut, so keep a close eye starting at the 5-minute mark.)
- Make these on the stove top just as easily by placing pecans in a dry skillet. Turn heat to medium-high and add butter and salt. Cook until fragrant and browned.
- Add sugar and cinnamon for a sweet treat!
USES FOR TOASTED PECANS
- Toasted pecans add crunch to a salad like this Best Chopped Salad!
- They make the PERFECT any-day snack or a finger food to put on any holiday table.
- Chop them and add them to the batter of your next carrot cake before baking!
- Add it to banana bread batter!
- This Classic Sweet Potato Casserole is a great option for your next Thanksgiving table and also a perfect side dish that can be enjoyed any time of the year. Toast the pecans in the recipe for an even more delicious side dish!
HOW LONG DO TOASTED PECANS LAST
Store toasted pecans in an air-tight container at room temperature for 2 weeks, in the refrigerator for 4 weeks or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
SHOULD PECANS BE TOASTED BEFORE BEING ADDED TO BAKED GOODS
For extra flavor and crunch, definitely toast pecans before adding them to your baked goods. It only takes a few extra minutes, so there’s really no reason not to take this extra tiny step. Note that you should wait to chop until after they are toasted to avoid burning.
IRRESISTIBLE HOLIDAY SNACKS
- Change it up by making candied pecans instead! These are a great snack and also the perfect addition to any leafy salad.
- Salty Toasted Coconut Chips are the perfect anytime snack, but they’ll also go fast on a party table!
- Transform the tart cranberry into a poppable snack by making these sugared cranberries. These come with a warning, though. They’re very hard to stop eating once you start.
- Holiday Snack Mix is one of my favorite snacks to bring to parties in the winter. Every time I do, it gets rave reviews!
- Double Chocolate Puff Corn is addicting and also gluten free!
- Sugared Pecans are a tasty little snack. Yummy spices, butter and sugars create an easy treat! Perfect for gift-giving, too!
SNACKS FOR ANY SEASON
- Stove Top Popcorn – Down with microwave popcorn and all of the unknown ingredients that come along with it. Stovetop popcorn is SO easy to make (easier than you think!), with no MSG and totally packed with delicious flavor.
- Instant Pot Chocolate Pudding – Make creamy, fudgy chocolate pudding effortlessly and PERFECTLY in your Instant Pot! This rich, decadent treat will bring you back to childhood. Skip the box mix!
- Instant Pot Applesauce – this homemade version of applesauce is better than anything you’ll find in the grocery store!
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
How to Make Toasted Pecans Recipe
- 2 cups pecans
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tsp sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a large piece of foil or parchment paper.
- Place the pecans onto the baking sheet in an even layer. Drizzle melted butter over the top and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly browned.