One of my favorite ways to use up all kinds of berries. These crumble bars are TO DIE FOR!
This week has had a sad undertone. It was my last week spent just with Sammy before kindergarten begins. I threw in a few extra special things for us to enjoy together that I will carry with me forever. I will miss so many things next year! Including our weekly grocery store trips when Sammy BEGS me to please, Mommy, please get mooooorrrre berries. “But Sammy,” I say, “we have tons of berries at home!” And he promises times infinity that he will eat them all. Usually this is true. He can eat berries faster than anyone I know. This week, however, he couldn’t quite keep up, so I knew what needed to happen.
This delicious little treat was inspired by my Apple Pie Bars. They are so irresistible that I brought the bulk of them to Dan’s work. I could not control myself while they were in my vicinity.
Start by making the crust. Combine the butter, sugar and an egg in a large bowl.
Mix until creamy.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt.
Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar-butter mixture until fully incorporated. Using your fingers, evenly press the dough into a parchment-lined 9×13 pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, combine 3 cups of mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and/or strawberries), 1/2 cup sugar and juice from 1/2 of a lemon.
Sprinkle dark chocolate chips over the baked crust. If you’re going for more of a fruity crumble bar dessert, feel free to skip the chocolate chips. But I promise you will not be sorry if you add them.
Prepare the topping. Combine the flour, brown sugar and butter in a small bowl.
Stir until the mixture is crumbly.
Spread the berry mixture evenly over the baked crust and top with the crumbles.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes.
Let cool for a minimum of 1 hour.
Remove the parchment paper from the pan and transfer to a work surface. Cut into squares and serve!
Have a wonderful weekend! Thanks for reading!
Chocolate Mixed Berry Crumble
- 1 egg
- 2 stick butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 3 cups mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and/or chopped strawberries)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 4 tbsp. butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment and set aside.
PREPARE THE CRUST
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, butter and sugar. Mix until creamy. Add flour and salt and stir until combined. Using your fingers (flour them, if needed), press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
PREPARE THE FILLING
- Spread chocolate chips evenly over crust (if using). In a medium bowl, combine berries, sugar and lemon juice. Stir until combined. Pour evenly over crust/chocolate chips.
PREPARE THE TOPPING
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and butter. Stir until mixture is crumbly. Spread evenly over filling layer. Bake for an additional 35-45 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares.