Make homemade bagels using only 5 ingredients and in 20 minutes from start to finish! NO YEAST or rising or waiting required. These easy bagels are soft, flavorful and taste great with savory or sweet toppings.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made from this page.
Until recently, I’ve lived a life being intimidated by the idea of making homemade bagels. I have no idea where this notion came from because (now I know) those beliefs were completely wrong and ridiculous.
‘Cause guess what?! Making bagels is EASY. I’m talking no yeast, no waiting, no boiling, no rising, no special flour, no having to throw dough away because you messed it all up.
This recipe is fool-proof, you guys. I’m not calling you a fool, but even if you were one you’d be able to make a successful, delicious batch of homemade bagels with a blindfold over your eyes. The first time I pulled a batch out of the oven I could hardly believe it.
These are really good bagels, you guys. They are beautiful, soft, perfect and so so sooo yummy. The way they looked and tasted did not match the effort that went into them. If you are a bagel lover like myself, promise me you’ll try this recipe! You will not be disappointed.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BAGELS
There are a handful of methods and tricks used to make bagels at home, but THIS! This method is the easiest you’ll find and it will result in a soft, flavorful, perfectly baked bagel every single time.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt and yogurt in a bowl and mix together using a heavy spoon until a dough forms.
Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured work surface. Knead by hand for 1 minute or so until it is soft and pliable.
Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
Roll each portion into a rope (approximately 6 inches in length); secure ends. Place onto the prepared baking sheet.
Cover tops with egg wash and toppings of your choice.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown! That’s it!
- Greek yogurt works best for this recipe, but use another variety if that is all you have on hand. Or try adding a flavored yogurt to change things up!
- Bread flour is NOT needed for this recipe. Go all-purpose!
WHAT TOPPINGS TO PUT ON YOUR BAGELS
After you brush your bagel dough with an egg wash and before you pop it into the oven, add toppings that will bake into the bread and add delicious flavor. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning is my favorite thing to sprinkle over bagels before baking them. You can easily find this popular seasoning at any Trader Joe’s store OR you can make it yourself!
- For a simpler but similar bagel topping, sprinkle minced garlic and sea salt over the tops.
- Try going the sweet route and coat the tops of your bagels with cinnamon and sugar!
- Crushed red pepper flakes and minced jalapenos would taste FANTASTIC for spice lovers!
- Or you can just go plain! Still YUM!
WHAT GOES WELL WITH A BAGEL
One of the things I love about bagels is how versatile they are! They are scrumptious when both savory and sweet, which makes them a unique snack, lunch or breakfast option. Cream cheese is the obvious choice when wanting to put something on a bagel, but these options are delicious, too!
- Sandwich toppings such as mayo, mustard, deli meat, lettuce and tomato slices make a delicious sandwich when stuffed inside a bagel.
- Turn a bagel into breakfast by adding eggs, cheese and bacon.
- Changing up the cream cheese flavor can totally transform a bagel. Try chive and onion or blueberry or any of the other flavor options available.
- Sandwich pizza ingredients inside a bagel and toast it in the oven until the cheese has melted!
Have fun making your own bagels! Please stop back and let me know how they turned out AND which toppings/additions you used!
OTHER DELICIOUS HOMEMADE NO YEAST BREAD RECIPES
- This Banana Bread recipe is tried, tested, delicious and EASY! Banana bread is naturally sweet, has a great texture and keeps the loaf of bread moist. Great way to use up those ripe bananas staring at you from your counter top Topped with a brown sugar crumble, this loaf won’t last long!
- With just 20 minutes of prep and 5 ingredients, this pizza dough is ready to be put in the oven! No yeast, rising or waiting is required and it produces a perfect pizza every time!
- Pumpkin Banana Bread Recipe – Pumpkin AND bananas join forces in this tasty bread! This is a great fall treat and your house has never smelled so good.
- Reese’s Banana Bread – Add Reese’s peanut butter cups to Banana Bread to make it a delectable treat! You’ll never look at a loaf of banana bread the same ever again.
- Best Beer Bread – This is the easiest, most delicious Beer Bread recipe you will find! Only a handful of ingredients are required for this no-fail, flavorful loaf of bread.
Easy No Yeast Homemade Bagels
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg beaten
- Everything Bagel Seasoning or other toppings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and yogurt. Mix until dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until soft and no longer sticky (1-2 minutes).
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a rope using your hands and cinch ends together to form a bagel. Place onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush the egg wash over the tops of the bagels and top with desired toppings. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.