Monkey Bread with a cheesy, gooey little secret! Stuffing the dough with chunks of cream cheese makes a delicious treat. Prepare yourself to completely WOW guests with this sweet breakfast. Take your next batch of monkey bread to the next level.
I’m certain there is not a soul on the planet who doesn’t love monkey bread. People trip over themselves just to get to the plate before everyone else. A few years ago I had the delicious thought to combine two of my favorite food in the same recipe: cream cheese and monkey bread. That was the day this delicious little recipe was born.
Monkey bread is the perfect recipe for breakfast gatherings or brunches or even dessert. It’s always the first thing to go because of its addicting qualities. Imagine your guests’ surprised faces when they bite into a chunk of monkey bread only to taste that there is gooey cream cheese surprise waiting in the middle! It’s a little piece of heaven!
HOW TO MAKE MONKEY BREAD WITH CREAM CHEESE
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine 2/3 cup each of dark brown sugar and granulated sugar and cinnamon. Mix well. Melt 3/4 cup salted butter in the microwave.
You’ll start with an 8-oz. package of cream cheese and two 12-ounce tubes refrigerated flaky buttermilk biscuits. Use a sharp knife to cut the cream cheese into 20 same-size pieces. Slice 10 discs of biscuit dough from each tube of biscuits.
Set the discs onto a flat surface and set one cube of cream cheese in the center of each piece of dough. Wrap the edges of the dough up and around the cheese so all that is visible is the top side of cream cheese cube.
Place 10 cheese-stuffed pieces of dough, cheese-side-up, into bottom of the prepared pan.
Top with half of the sugar cinnamon mixture and half of the melted butter. Top with the remaining dough pieces, cheese-side-down, the remaining sugar and remaining butter.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Invert onto a serving platter and serve.
TIPS: HOW TO MAKE THIS THE BEST CREAM CHEESE MONKEY BREAD YOU’LL EVER EAT!
- Buy full-fat cream cheese and don’t skimp! Super cheap blocks of cream cheese do not melt as well as ones that cost just a little bit more.
- It is definitely ok to use a different variety of biscuit dough. I love the flavor and flakiness of the flaky buttermilk biscuits, but the monkey bread will still taste great if a different variety is used.
- Light brown sugar can replace dark brown sugar without much flavor altering. The dark brown variety adds a nice rich depth to the sugars.
- To tell if the monkey bread is done, the top pieces should be uniformly golden brown. Gently remove a piece from the center. If the dough is fully cooked, the recipe is done baking!
WHAT IS MONKEY BREAD?
Monkey bread is a bunch of balls of dough being baked together with sugars and butter. During baking, the dough balls adhere together making it possible to pull pieces away by using your fingers. The term “monkey bread” comes from being a finger food, the same way monkeys eat their food.
HOW TO MAKE MONKEY BREAD WITHOUT A BUNDT PAN?
The rounded corners of the bundt pan will allow for uniform baking, but if you don’t have a bundt pan a tube pan or angel food cake pan will work. If you don’t have any of these pans, a 9×9 or 9×13 pan will work, too! Place the dough as evenly as possible in a layer in the pan and start checking for signs that the bread is done when it has been in the oven for 30 minutes.
Here’s another little trick. If you have a spring form pan (typically used to bake cheesecake) or a large round cake pan (9 inches), place an empty can in the center, surround it with the dough and bake!
HOW TO STORE CREAM CHEESE MONKEY BREAD
Because there is cream cheese hidden in the centers of the pieces, store this version of monkey bread covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. Will it last that long, though? Mine never does!
CAN I FREEZE MONKEY BREAD?
Once it has baked and cooled completely, monkey bread can be frozen for 3-4 months. Wrap tightly in foil before placing into the freezer. When you are ready to enjoy it, let it thaw completely before reheating.
HOW TO REHEAT MONKEY BREAD
Place the monkey bread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until the centers are warm.
SALTED BUTTER VS UNSALTED BUTTER
Ahh, the great baking debate. Many bakers use unsalted butter in their baked goods in order to avoid over-salting. I, however, believe that there is no such thing as “over-salting.” I always use salted butter in my baked goods (and for everything else under the sun) because it gives everything I make an extra touch of salty deliciousness. If you go the unsalted route, keep in mind that you may need to add a bit extra salt to the recipe!
FUN VARIATIONS FOR YOUR CREAM CHEESE FILLED MONKEY BREAD
- Finely chop some pecans or walnuts and place them in the middle layer of the cream cheese and dough balls.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips into the middle and on the top before baking.
- Add sliced apples, pears or berries to the middle layer.
- Drizzle a simple icing over the top, just before serving!
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER SUGARY BREAKFAST TREATS
I love a good savory breakfast, but there is something so special and yummy about a nice sugary breakfast, am I right? Kids especially go bananas over pancakes and cinnamon rolls and any breakfast food that contains sugar. Here are a few delicious ideas to make any day of the week or for the next time you host breakfast or brunch!
- Chocolate Chip Muffins
- No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls
- Banana Crumb Muffins
- Apple Coffee Cake
- Apple Pie Monkey Bread
WHAT TO SERVE FOR BRUNCH AT HOME
Brunch is one of my favorite things in the world. I mean, we’re talking meat, pancakes, eggs, all the savory breakfast foods AND all the sugar-laden treats, as well. We have veggies and sandwiches and wraps and quiche and pot roast and soup and the list goes on and on. Brunch contains the best collection of foods on the planet, which is why it is so popular among the masses. And we can’t forget that alcohol is totally acceptable at brunches, too! Woo!
Here is just a tiny sampling of my favorite brunch fare:
- Homemade Bagels – Make homemade bagels using only 5 ingredients and in 20 minutes from start to finish! NO YEAST or rising or waiting required. These easy bagels are soft, flavorful and taste great with savory or sweet toppings. I love sprinkling Everything But the Bagel Seasoning over the tops!
- Blueberry Muffins – You have just met your new go-to Blueberry Muffin recipe! These muffins turn out great every time, they are moist and totally packed with blueberries. These are the PERFECT treat to adorn your brunch spread!
- Breakfast Pizza – Like brunch itself, this recipe is a combo of two types of meals, making it the perfect brunch fare. Pizza combined with eggs, spinach, bacon and goat cheese? Yes, please!
- BEST Breakfast Casserole – I have been making (and perfecting) this breakfast casserole for YEARS and it is one of my all-time favorite breakfast foods. This is perhaps my favorite thing ever to make for brunches. It is a massive hit every single time!
- Mixed Berry Croissant Breakfast Bake – Transform French Toast into a Mixed Berry Croissant Breakfast Bake! The croissants add such a delicious buttery texture. Let it sit in the fridge overnight so it is ready to bake the next day!
- Ham Bone Split Pea Soup – Ham, split peas and an assortment of delicious carrots, peas and celery are the perfect combo in this hearty, comforting and traditional soup. A truly savory soup will satisfy and fill you up.
- Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches – These delicious, baked Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches are bursting with flavor and gooey cheese! They are super easy to throw together and always get devoured by the masses.
WHAT TO SERVE AT A PARTY
I LOVE party food, so you have come to the right place if you are looking for recipes to make for your next gathering. Cream Cheese Monkey Bread is the perfect party food, no matter the time of year OR time of day. Here are some other recipe ideas for you that will be easy, delicious and crowd-pleasing!
- Fruit Pizza – The classic, crowd-pleasing Fruit Pizza has a cookie dough crust, dreamy cream cheese frosting and a colorful top layer of fruit and a tasty glaze. Great appetizer/dessert for parties of any kind, any time of the year!
- Taco Ranch Pasta Salad – This delicious pasta salad gets totally devoured at gatherings, no matter the season.
- Sausage Cheese Dip – Sausage Cheese Dip is easy to make (let your crockpot do the work for you!), cheesy, flavorful and totally irresistible! Serve as an appetizer at your next party and it won’t last long. Only 6 ingredients required for this delicious party food!
- 7-Layer Taco Dip – This is the best 7-Layer Taco Dip you’ll ever meet! It’s the perfect appetizer and party food and it is always the first thing to get devoured.
- Crockpot Meatballs – These require only a few ingredients with only a few minutes of prep. They are SO EASY to make, totally packed with delicious flavor and great for game-day parties or holidays. Let your slow cooker do all of the work for you!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – This hot Spinach Artichoke Dip is a party staple! People always get excited about this dip and its so easy to make! It’s a filling, cheesy snack or appetizer that you can put on pita squares, crackers or chips. Let your slow cooker do all of the work for you!
Monkey Bread With Cream Cheese
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 24 oz flaky buttermilk biscuits refrigerated
- 8 oz cream cheese cubed
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the sugars and cinnamon; set aside.
- Slice 10 discs of dough from each tube of biscuits. Set discs on a flat surface and set one cube of cream cheese in the center of each piece of dough. Wrap edges of dough up and around the cheese so all that is visible is the top side of cream cheese cube. Place 10 dough-wrapped cheese cubes, cheese-side-up, in bottom of prepared pan.
- Top with half of the sugar mixture and half of the butter. Top with the remaining dough-wrapped cheese cubes, cheese-side-down, the remaining sugar and remaining butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter and serve.