This is my favorite quick and easy breakfast of all time, packed with healthy foods. Combine eggs, broccoli, tomatoes and a bit of garlic to create a delicious and filling meal and an EASY, healthy dish to start your day. Change the veggies up if you so desire!
We are officially in our new home! This home does not have wheels and there are more than two options for places to sit down. All of us feel like perhaps we are home-sitting for a friend and that we will be leaving soon. Elijah keeps telling me that he feels like he’s in a dream.
This incredible, spacious new house of ours is a dream come true. I never imagined how much we all would appreciate this place. If you reeeeeally want to be grateful for a house, live in an RV for four months with two boys and a dog!
I haven’t had a chance to cook much in our new kitchen, but I’m itching for it! This Eggs with Broccoli and Tomatoes recipe is the last of my RV meals, at least for this year. I made this breakfast a TON on the road, with slight variations each time. I love eggs cooked just about any way, but this became my favorite way to enjoy them. Such a delicious and easy breakfast!
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI AND EGGS BREAKFAST
One of my favorite breakfast recipes that is also a healthy meal with a short cooking time!
Heat olive oil in a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat or use a little cooking spray. Add tomatoes, broccoli, parsley and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until broccoli begins to soften and garlic becomes fragrant. Lightly salt and pepper your veggies.
Create space in the center of the pan and add eggs into open space. Break yolks with a spatula and let the egg mixture cook for 2 minutes. Stir everything together using the edge of a spatula until eggs are cooked. Top with salt, black pepper and salsa (optional) and serve immediately!
- If you prefer, whisk the eggs prior to tossing them in the well of the fried veggies. In a small bowl, whisk with 1 tablespoon of water and add to the skillet!
- There is no shortage of amazing ingredients you can toss into this great recipe! Chop up a 1/4 cup red pepper, slice up some mushrooms, toss in some diced red onion or add sliced green onions! Even a few jalapenos would be delicious. All amazing flavors!
- If you prefer an even healthier option, use egg whites instead of whole eggs.
- You can transfer the breakfast to a casserole dish and place in the oven at 300 to keep it warm until you are ready to serve if you want to prepare it before everyone is ready to eat.
- Sour cream makes a great addition with salsa.
- Broccoli and cheddar are a delicious combo, so don’t be afraid to add in some grated cheese at the end!
HOW TO PICK OUT BROCCOLI
When shopping for broccoli, choose firm stalks with tight florets and crisp green leaves. Avoid yellowed or flowering florets. The cut ends of the stalks should be fresh and moist.
HOW MUCH IS A SERVING OF BROCCOLI
10 Broccoli florets is about 1 cup of broccoli.
HOW MANY CARBS IN BROCCOLI
1 cup of broccoli is approximately 10 grams of carbohydrates
HOW MANY CALORIES IN BROCCOLI
Broccoli is low in calories at just 31 calories a cup but it’s also loaded with fiber
HOW MANY CALORIES IN AN EGG
1 large egg contains approximately 72 calories.
HOW MUCH PROTEIN IN AN EGG
1 large egg contains approximately 6 grams of protein.
HOW MANY CARBS IN AN EGG
1 large egg contains approximately 0.6 grams of carbohydrates.
HOW LONG ARE EGGS GOOD FOR
When properly stored in the refrigerator, eggs can be used 5 weeks after the sell date listed on the carton. The sooner they are used, the fresher they will be.
ARE MUSHROOMS GOOD FOR YOU
Mushrooms themselves are packed with nutritional value. They contain almost no calories and also have fiber and protein, as well as many other vitamins and nutrients. When combined with butter, oil and other ingredients the healthiness obviously diminishes, so keep this in mind when preparing them.
HOW LONG DO MUSHROOMS LAST
Store fresh mushrooms in a paper bag in the fridge for best results. They need a little bit of air in order to stay fresh, unlike other vegetables. Mushrooms will stay fresh for 5-7 days when refrigerated and stored properly. If mushrooms start turning brown or getting soft, these are signs that they are starting to spoil.
CARING FOR AND SEASONING CAST IRON PANS
- After baking/cooking with your cast iron skillet, use soap free sponge and hot water to wash it out. Never use soap on cast iron. If it has food stuck on it, let it sit in some hot water for a short time, then use a food scraper or spoon to help remove it. Use the sponge again to wash it clean.
- Let the skillet completely dry over a low heat flame. Once the skillet has dried and no more water drops appear, use a little bit of oil in the pan while it’s still warm to reseason your cast iron. Use a folder up paper towel to spread it around, then flip the paper towel around to soak up any excess oil before finishing.
CHECK OUT THESE SUGARY BREAKFAST ITEMS
I love a good savory breakfast, but there is something so special and yummy about a nice sugary breakfast, am I right? Kids especially go bananas over pancakes and cinnamon rolls and any breakfast food that contains sugar. Here are a few delicious ideas to make any day of the week or for the next time you host breakfast or brunch!
- Chocolate Chip Muffins
- No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls
- Banana Crumb Muffins
- Apple Coffee Cake
- Apple Pie Monkey Bread
WHAT TO SERVE FOR BRUNCH AT HOME
Brunch is one of my favorite things in the world. I mean, we’re talking meat, pancakes, eggs, all the savory breakfast foods AND all the sugar-laden treats, as well. We have veggies and sandwiches and wraps and quiche and pot roast and soup and the list goes on and on.
Brunch contains the best collection of foods on the planet, which is why it is so popular among the masses. And we can’t forget that alcohol is totally acceptable at brunches, too! Woo!
Here is just a tiny sampling of my favorite brunch fare:
- Homemade Bagels – Make homemade bagels using only 5 ingredients and in 20 minutes from start to finish! NO YEAST or rising or waiting required. These easy bagels are soft, flavorful and taste great with savory or sweet toppings. I love sprinkling
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning over the tops!
- Blueberry Muffins – You have just met your new go-to Blueberry Muffin recipe! These muffins turn out great every time, they are moist and totally packed with blueberries. These are the PERFECT treat to adorn your brunch spread!
- Breakfast Pizza – Like brunch itself, this recipe is a combo of two types of meals, making it the perfect brunch fare. Pizza combined with eggs, spinach, bacon and goat cheese? Yes, please!
- BEST Breakfast Casserole – I have been making (and perfecting) this breakfast casserole for YEARS and it is one of my all-time favorite breakfast foods. This is perhaps my favorite thing ever to make for brunches. It is a massive hit every single time!
- Mixed Berry Croissant Breakfast Bake – Transform French Toast into a Mixed Berry Croissant Breakfast Bake! The croissants add such a delicious buttery texture. Let it sit in the fridge overnight so it is ready to bake the next day!
- Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches – These delicious, baked Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches are bursting with flavor and gooey cheese! They are super easy to throw together and always get devoured by the masses.
- Hummus Veggie Wraps – Smear hummus inside of a wrap and stuff it with veggies to create a healthy, meatless brunch option! These do NOT lack flavor!
Broccoli and Eggs Breakfast with Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved (or grape tomatoes)
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- salsa for topping, if desired
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, broccoli, parsley and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until broccoli begins to soften and garlic becomes fragrant
- Create space in the center of the pan and crack eggs into open space. Break yolks with a spatula and let cook for 2 minutes. Stir everything together using the edge of a spatula until eggs are cooked. Top with salt, pepper and salsa (optional) and serve immediately!