This creamy, rich soup is packed with delicious mushrooms and tons of flavor. A super affordable soup to make, this will fill everyone up! Dunk bread sticks or garlic bread into it or serve with a delicious side salad for a complete hearty meal.
Why This Recipe Works
I am so in love with mushrooms that my husband worries about me. He is on the opposite end of that love, so I feel very misunderstood in my home on the mushroom front. When I made this mushroom soup he nearly ran from the house screaming. But I pressed on and could not have been happier with the delicious flavor coming out of this yummy soup!
Not only it is out-of-this-world scrumptious, it is also super easy to throw together and it’s an affordable meal to buy ingredients for. Throw this together for the mushroom lovers in your life! This is a great recipe for dinner parties or any old weeknight meal.
How To Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms.
Cook until they are golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
Add the flour and stir until veggies are coated.
Add white wine and stir until lumps are gone. Turn heat to medium-high and add the broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer over medium-low. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
Pour the mushroom mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Add heavy cream and cook until warm.
Serve warm with thyme on top!
- Be absolutely sure that you allow the soup to cool before pureeing it in the blender!
- Another option for making the soup creamier is to use an immersion blender or even a potato masher, depending on how smooth you want it to be.
- The white wine in the recipe is optional, but adds incredible flavor!
- For a beautiful presentation (since, uh, the soup itself is not super beautiful), lay a few fresh thyme leaves over the top before serving.
- Chicken and vegetable broth can be used interchangeably in this recipe.
- Any type of mushrooms work great in this soup, even the standard white variety that is easily found in the produce aisle.
How To Add Flavor To Soup
Check out these tips to learn how to add flavor to your next batch of soup!
What To Serve With Soup
Soup is an easy, comforting meal to prepare for dinner any time of the year. But what do you serve alongside it? Click over for 33 delicious ideas about what to serve with soup.
More Mushroom Recipes
If you are a mushroom fan like I am, check out some other delicious recipes packed with them!
- Replace rice with this veggie-packed Cauliflower Mushroom Rice side dish. It’s easy to make and prepared in 15 minutes. Packed with flavor and texture plus this recipe also complies with the Whole30 program!
- Zoodles and Mushrooms – Turn veggies into a fun and healthy side dish by transforming zucchini into zoodles. Great way to disguise foods you know are good for you but aren’t your favorite to eat.
- The creamy cheese wedged into the centers of these Crab Stuffed Mushrooms will send you to your knees. These savory bites are a great finger food for parties!
- This easy, delicious marinade transforms Grilled Steak and Mushrooms into the most delicious dinner. Steak and Mushroom Kabobs are easy, fun and yummy!
- Your crockpot + four ingredients + two hours = the most delicious Buttery Ranch Mushrooms you’ll ever taste! These are a HUGE party food favorite and crowd-pleaser. Bring them to your next potluck!
Are Mushrooms Good For You?
Mushrooms themselves are packed with nutritional value. They contain almost no calories and also have fiber and protein, as well as many other vitamins and nutrients. When combined with butter, oil and other ingredients the healthiness obviously diminishes, so keep this in mind when preparing them.
Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?
Store-bought mushrooms are totally safe for consumption for dogs. There are wild varieties of mushrooms that neither dogs nor humans should eat, but the varieties you will find in the store are safe.
Can You Freeze Mushrooms?
Mushrooms can definitely be frozen, but for best results freeze before cooking to avoid mushiness. If you find yourself with an abundance of mushrooms, first place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and quick freeze them for 20 minutes. This will ensure that they do not stick together once they are touching.
Place them in a heavy duty freezer bag and freeze for up to 4 months. When ready to enjoy, allow the mushrooms to thaw completely in the fridge before cooking or eating them.
How Long Do Mushrooms Last?
Store fresh mushrooms in a paper bag in the fridge for best results. They need a little bit of air in order to stay fresh, unlike other vegetables. Mushrooms will stay fresh for 5-7 days when refrigerated and stored properly. If mushrooms start turning brown or getting soft, these are signs that they are starting to spoil.
Soups That Warm The Soul
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup – This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is the BEST! It is packed with flavor, it is super easy to make and it tastes like it’s been cooked low and slow all day long.
- Instant Pot White Turkey Chili – White Turkey Chili becomes even MORE delicious when made in an Instant Pot. Packed with turkey meat, white beans and veggies, this will quickly become a dinner favorite!
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup – This is the BEST Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe you will ever taste. Let your Instant Pot create a veggie-packed, cheesy, hearty and comforting dinner that everyone at the table will love.
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup – Make a batch of comforting Chicken Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot! Using a pressure cooker will save you time and will produce the most perfectly cooked soup you’ll ever taste.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup – Transform Chicken Fajitas into a delicious, savory soup that will quickly become a family favorite! Mix and match vegetables to your liking!
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 2 tbsp thyme chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 24 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine substitution: water or broth
- 32 oz chicken broth substitution: vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Extra thyme for topping
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until veggies are coated. Add white wine and stir until lumps are gone. Turn heat to medium-high and add the broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer over medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Pour the cooled soup mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Add heavy cream and cook until warm. Serve warm with thyme on top!
<a data-pin-do="buttonPin" data-pin-count="beside" data-pin-tall="true" href="https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpipandebby.com%2Fpip-ebby%2Fcreamy-mushroom-soup%2F(opens%20in%20a%20new%20tab)&media=https%3A%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2Ff-mlSDuLGEeN1bEwVHu6BfjVsw_KcZV-Z2jdCHjy9kWT5ccvbxM48HFW98DwjhN8fIwrmTSwl4itd8PsFOZiIQg6piMzc3QJ1l-X4M5_VeMQv3U6W5EFOEezeoDRP2bVrVOYAcu0PFY%3Dw1920-h1080&description=This%20creamy%2C%20rich%20soup%20is%20packed%20with%20delicious%20mushrooms%20and%20tons%20of%20flavor.%20A%20super%20affordable%20soup%20to%20make%2C%20this%20will%20fill%20everyone%20up!%20Dunk%20bread%20sticks%20or%20garlic%20bread%20into%20it%20or%20serve%20with%20a%20delicious%20side%20salad%20for%20a%20complete%20hearty%20meal.%20%23mushroomsoup%20%23creamymushroom%20%23comfortfood"></a> <script async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>