Make your own Unwich at home, Jimmy John’s style! This is such a great way to ditch the carb- and calorie-loaded bread and enjoy a healthy salad in the form of a sandwich.
I recently fell madly in love with Jimmy John’s delicious Unwich. I typically don’t consume a ton of bread in the summer, so the love happened hard and fast. Using lettuce to hold together sandwich ingredients is pure genius!
Last week I had a craving for an Unwich, so I made an impromptu stop at JJ’s. I was so excited to eat it, but sorely disappointed when I removed the wrapping. Inside of the lettuce was, well, a lot of AIR, along with three tiny tomato slices and a sad squirt of mayo sitting atop a pathetic-looking piece or two of turkey.
The food blogger in me said I CAN DO BETTER, so I took action. I stopped at the store and picked up ingredients to make a WAY cheaper, WAY more packed, WAY tastier version of the Unwich. Friends, I introduce you to the Meg-Unwich!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN JIMMY JOHN’S UNWICH IN THIS QUICK VIDEO TUTORIAL!
Enjoy the step-by-step video tutorial we have created for this recipe! Our goal is to make your time in the kitchen as easy as possible and to ensure that your version of this recipe is a success. See our full collection of cooking and baking videos on YouTube!
HOW TO MAKE A JIMMY JOHN’S UNWICH
Make an iceberg lettuce “bowl” two leaves deep. Place the following ingredients inside:
- 3-4 slices turkey
- 3 small tomato slices
- Thinly sliced cucumbers
- Handful of assorted, chopped veggies (if desired)
- Mustard and/or mayo
- Seasoned salt
Wrap tightly, enclosing them like burritos. Wrap with parchment paper for added stability.
WHAT IS AN UNWICH?
An Unwich is a breadless sandwich created by Jimmy John’s as a way to enjoy a healthy, carbless sandwich. This is a great option for people who might be avoiding gluten and/or carbs. The lettuce acts as the bread or wrap, holding the contents of the unwich together and adding a delicious crunch.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN AN UNWICH
There are 342 calories in the Unwich listed in this recipe, compared to 550+ calories if the same ingredients were sandwiched between sliced of bread. So much healthier than fast food!
UNWICH INGREDIENT OPTIONS
The options are endless for filling up pieces of lettuce to create an unwich. Consider these delicious possibilities:
- Load it up with salami, ham, mozzarella and tomatoes with Italian dressing.
- Bell peppers, sprouts and hummus would be a delicious option!
- Turn it into a BLT!
- Load it up with meat. Sliced smoked ham, roast beef, turkey breast and salami and top it off with your favorite condiments.
- Put a few spoonfuls of chicken salad or tuna salad inside.
- Cream cheese or provolone, cucumber slices and seasoned salt…YUM!
- Shredded chicken, guacamole or avocado spread and your favorite hot sauce!
- Pack in the turkey, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onions, mayo and seasoned salt!
- Peek at JJ’s menu and turn some of their most popular menu items into unwiches: JJ Gargantuan, Italian Night Club, Club Unwich, Gourmet Veggie Club, Tuna Salad Unwich and Beach Club!
CRAVING MORE HEALTHY SALADS OPTIONS?
- Best Chopped Salad – This chopped salad is packed with delicious ingredients including candied pecans, red onions, avocado, tomatoes and more!
- Edamame Tomato Corn Salad – Edamame Tomato Corn Salad is my favorite salad recipe of ALL TIME. This delicious salad is a crowd-pleaser, enjoyed any time of the year. Bring this to a party and it will be devoured immediately!
- Loaded Veggie Salad – This versatile Loaded Veggie Salad is EASY to make and it is packed with healthy ingredients, such as chickpeas, black beans, tomatoes and avocados. It is a delicious lunch, wrap filling, party side or even a topping for chicken!
- Quinoa Edamame Salad – Quinoa Edamame Salad is great for parties and can be served in throw-away cups for serving ease. Also great as a salad to have in the fridge. It is packed with fresh fruit and veggies.
- Crunchy Bok Choy Salad – This crunchy, veggie-packed Bok Choy Salad is a great dish to bring to parties. Prepare this one just before serving. It will quickly become a salad favorite!
- Avocado Berry Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette – This is the most beautiful, vibrant salad you’ll ever meet that also aligns with the Whole30 diet! There is such an intriguing combination of flavors and textures and you’ll want to eat it every single day.
Make Your Own Jimmy John’s Unwich
- 4 large iceberg lettuce leaves
- 6 slices turkey
- 1 small tomato cut into slices
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and sliced
- handful assorted sliced veggies if desired
- mustard or mayo
- seasoned salt sprinkled
- Make two iceberg lettuce “bowls,” two leaves deep. Divide the remaining ingredients between them and wrap tightly, enclosing them like burritos. Wrap with parchment paper for added stability.