Make a big batch of this best Healthy Chili recipe because it’s delicious and totally comforting! Whether you spice it up or keep it mild, it is a recipe you will keep coming back to, warming you on cool nights. The addition of sweet potatoes gives it a unique twist on traditional chili. Set your crock pot up in the morning and by evening dinner is served.
Original recipe posted: September 2018 | Recipe updated: October 2019
Why This Recipe Works
Fall is finally showing its true (beautiful) colors this week. Even the cool, dreary fall days are welcome because they make me want to have comfort food spilling out of my kitchen. Nothing smells better than a crockpot full of Turkey Chili. Is there a scented candle that smells like chili? There should be.
I fell in love with this healthy version of Turkey Chili a few years ago for three reasons: 1. It is DELICIOUS. 2. No guilt. 3. The recipe calls for sweet potatoes. Promise me you’ll add this to your comfort food must-make list this fall!
How To Make Healthy Chili
You’ll be glad you enjoyed a piping hot bowl of this easy recipe! This broth based chili is delicious!!
In a Dutch oven or extra large skillet, cook ground turkey over medium heat until no longer pink. Create a circle in center and pour olive oil then add onion, bell pepper, jalapenos (if using), garlic and sweet potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add contents to a 6.5-quart slow cooker, along with diced tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and chicken broth. Mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or High heat for 5-6 hours.
Serve hot in a deep bowl and top with salt and pepper, avocados, sour cream and shredded cheese, if desired.
- Using crushed tomatoes for a thicker chili or in place of diced tomatoes works for those that don’t love larger tomato pieces.
- I really enjoy green chilies in my chili for extra fire roasted flavor and spice that isn’t too hot, just flavorful.
- Add a can of chili beans for additional protein and filling!
- Replace a portion of the diced tomatoes with tomato sauce for an extra flavorful and hearty soup.
More Chili Recipes
I also have a 5-Ingredient Chili that will blow you away with its ease. Or my World’s Best Chili that just can’t be beat. If you have an instant pot, make this delicious Instant Pot Chili and this Instant Pot White Turkey Chili version.
Chili dinners are the best in those cold winter months! If you are looking to round out your meal, peruse this roundup for ideas about what to serve as apps for chili.
How To Thicken Chili
If you make a delicious batch and find that it is not thick enough for your liking, we have some simple methods that will fix it! Read on for tips about the best way to thicken chili.
Substitute For Beans In Chili
Whether you can’t eat beans or you just don’t have any on hand, learn what to substitute for beans in chili!
What To Do With Chili Leftovers
If you have leftovers (and it’s very possible that you will because this makes a large batch), please check out these delicious recipes to help use them up:
- Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Best Ever Chili Dogs recipe
- Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Chili-Topped Baked Potatoes
- Or use this post as your guide for dinner ideas—ways to use leftover chili so nothing goes to waste.
How To Make Hot Dog Chili Sauce
Don’t use any old chili recipe to pile on top of hot dogs. This delicious recipe details how to make hot dog chili sauce so the consistency is just right!
What To Top Chili With
A bowl of chili is the perfect template for delicious toppings! Consider any or all of the following:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onions
- Crushed saltines or oyster crackers
What To Serve With Chili
Serve chili warm with a bit of shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. A few good options to serve alongside it include:
Chili Dinner Ideas – Recipes and Sides!
Click over for delicious chili dinner ideas with a variety of recipes and side dish recommendations, as well.
How To Freeze Chili
Freezing chili is super doable and easy! Pour it into a container that seals tightly OR into resealable freezer bags. If you use bags, flatten them out and remove as much air as possible before sealing. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
When you are ready to enjoy the chili, let it thaw completely and reheat on the stove top or in a slow cooker until it is warmed to desired temperature.
Ground Turkey vs Ground Beef
If you are able to find a lean ground beef like 90/10, that works great, too! In general, turkey is a much leaner meat but be sure to check the fatty to lean ratio for the healthiest option.
Sweet Potatoes vs Yams
I was confused for so many years after cutting into a sweet potato only to find white flesh. Was it really a sweet potato or was it a yam? It is rare to find an actual yam in a U.S. grocery store. What you are seeing when you go to the store are two varieties of sweet potatoes. Crazy, right?!
What is labeled “yam” at the store is actually a sweet potato with brown skin and dark orange flesh. What is labeled “sweet potato” at the store is a sweet potato with lighter skin and also lighter flesh.
This variety is more firm in texture and not as fluffy when cooked. When you purchase sweet potatoes for this dish, you will want to purchase the “yam” variety! No more potato confusion, phew!
FAQ About Sweet Potatoes
There are approximately 25 g of carbohydrates in a 5-inch long sweet potato, making them about 10 g less than a regular potato of the same size.
There are approximately 110 calories in a 5-inch long sweet potato, making them about 50 calories less than a regular potato of the same size.
Sweet potatoes are VERY good for you and they are packed with nutrients and vitamins. They are high in fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C and magnesium. They are also low in calories and can contribute to having a healthy gut!
My dog is constantly underfoot when I am preparing food in the kitchen, so I am always curious which food are and are not ok for him to nibble on. Cooked sweet potatoes are actually very gentle on digestive systems and they contain a lot of nutrients, making them safe for your pups to consume.
Low Carb Whole30 Recipes
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash – Cook spaghetti squash in your Instant Pot for an evenly-cooked squash in a fraction of the time it takes to prepare it in an oven! This healthy and easy recipe is a great side dish. Or use it in place of pasta and serve with spaghetti sauce!
- Egg Roll in a Bowl – Unleash the delicious egg roll! Enjoy the ingredients inside an egg roll minus the carbs and calories. This Egg Roll Bowl is great as an easy dinner or salad. Done in 20 minutes and supremely delicious!
- Lemon Chicken Piccata – This is the tastiest Chicken Piccata recipe you’ll meet. The chicken is moist after lightly dusting in almond flour and baked in broth and lemons. Add a couple of capers for a vibrant, healthy addition.
- Healthy Burgers with Sweet Potato Buns – These delicious burgers are made healthy by using sweet potatoes instead of buns! They are Whole30 compliant and will satisfy your every dinner-table desire.
Comfort Food Recipes
- Creamy vegetables are inside this Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole. A buttery crispy crust that is comfort food perfection especially during the fall and winter months serves up this dish.
- Homestyle Ground Beef Casserole boasts flavor and creaminess over a bed of steaming egg noodles. This casserole is just like your mom’s recipe but so much more! This is a perfect hearty weeknight meal to put on the table.
- This Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole is a delicious combination of the tastiest flavors you will ever eat in a single bite. Bacon, chicken, creamy alfredo sauce and pasta all make dinner a hit in less than 30 minutes!
- Best Baked Ziti recipe is packed with flavorful meat sauce and layers of cheesy goodness, you will enjoy each flavorful bite. This delicious dinner feeds a lot of people and is super filling and hearty. It is a great meal to freeze and bake at a later time, too!
- One-Pan Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole makes dinner easier! NO PREP is required for this quick and delicious Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole. Simplify those busy weeknights by adding this hearty meal to the dinner rotation!
- This Easy Classic Chicken Alfredo is the perfect dinner recipe for busy nights. Done in 30 minutes and made in a single pan, everyone at the table will love this comforting dish!
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?
If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Best Healthy Turkey Chili
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers finely chopped (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Avocado slices, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- In a Dutch oven or extra large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink. Create a circle in center and pour olive oil into pan. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapenos (if using), garlic and sweet potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add contents to a 6.5-quart slow cooker, along with tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and chicken broth. Mix well. Cover and cook on Low heat for 7-8 hours or High heat for 5-6 hours.
- Serve hot. Top with avocados, sour cream and shredded cheese, if desired.