These delicious burgers are made healthy by using sweet potatoes instead of buns! They are Whole30 compliant and will satisfy your every dinner-table desire.
I’ve made it to Day 12 of the Whole30 program and I’m still breathing, friends. I still miss my sugar and dream about it every night, but I am loving the foods I am allowed to eat. Who knew it would be so much fun to get creative with meat and veggies?! In between dreams of cake and cookies, I dreamed up these Healthy Burgers with Sweet Potato Buns a few nights ago. I was super happy with how they turned out and DEE-voured two of them in about ten minutes.
If you have a spare ten minutes, be sure to make a batch of this Whole30 Guacamole to top the burgers with. If you’re stretched for time, a few avocado slices will do. Either way, you are going to love this recipe! Whether you’re following the Whole30 program or not, it will become a quick favorite because of its ease, deliciousness and healthiness.
Before I sign off to eat another one of these for lunch (a bit obsessed this week), I want to mention that I’m doing live videos on Facebook twice/week and I don’t want you to miss out! Tune in on Saturdays (1pm/CST) and Wednesdays (3pm/CST) to see some new recipes. This Saturday I’ll be showing you a new healthy snack that complies with Whole30 and next Wednesday I’ll be making a cookies out of my cookbook. See you then!
Enjoy the yummy burgers and have a great weekend!
Healthy Burgers with Sweet Potato Buns
- 1 large sweet potato (or yam) peeled, sliced crosswise into 1/2 in circles
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground beef substitute ground turkey for a healthier option
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 tbsp hot sauce 1-2 tbsp, optional; use Frank's to comply with Whole30 diet
- 1 cup Whole30 compliant guacamole OR
- 1/2 avocado slices
- hot sauce for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the sweet potato slices on a baking sheet and brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper (both sides). Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, flipping slices halfway.
- Meanwhile, combine the ground meat, onion and hot sauce (if using) in a large bowl. Mix until combined. Divide in four equal parts and form patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cover, cooking for 3-5 minutes per side or until burgers are cooked to desired doneness.
- Place sweet potato buns on serving plate and top with burgers and guacamole (or avocado slices). Top with hot sauce and another sweet potato slice (if desired). Serve immediately!